*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/980400
Rated: GC · Book · Music · #2218303
Where music moves me. Here are my stories. Album #1
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#980400 added April 6, 2020 at 2:58pm
Restrictions: None
High Voltage
"High Voltage"

Well you ask me 'bout the clothes I wear
And you ask me why I grow my hair
And you ask me why I'm in a band
I dig doin' one night stands
And you wanna see me do my thing
All you gotta do is plug me into high

I said high
High voltage rock 'n' roll
High voltage rock 'n' roll
High voltage, high voltage
High voltage rock 'n' roll

Well you ask me why I like to dance
And you ask me why I like to sing
And you ask me why I like to play
I got to get my kicks some way
And You ask me what I'm all about
Come on let me hear you shout high

I said high
High voltage rock 'n' roll
High voltage rock 'n' roll
High voltage, high voltage
High voltage rock 'n' roll
Rock 'n' roll

I said high, I get high, aaaah!
High voltage rock 'n' roll
High voltage rock 'n' roll
High voltage, high voltage
High voltage rock 'n' roll

Stars, bulbs....
Spotlight, put the lights out, turn me on
(High voltage rock 'n' roll)
(High voltage rock 'n' roll)

Wine, women and song
(High voltage, high voltage)
Plugged in and turned on...


*Bullet**Music1**Bullet**Music2**Bullet**Music1**Bullet**Music2**Bullet**Music1**Bullet**Music2**Bullet*


There are days when Jem wakes up in a hotel and cannot remember what city she's in. The curse of traveling week after week, the hotels all look the same. She remembers the people she met, that's part of her job, but rarely does a hotel impress her. She groaned and rolled over in the bed, checking her phone, and the readout says she's in Baltimore. That's right, the new account. The vice-president over there is a really nice guy. He even offered to take her to a concert tonight. She'd rather chill in her room but it's part of the job, if they party, you party.

The money is worth it. She thought about her early years when she was a music groupie, following her crush and his band from city to city, driving that old Chevy and even sleeping in it the nights she couldn't get with the bass player. Luke always shrugged it off, gotta do what the manager wants, even if it meant turning down the chick with the killer body.

Then the tours slowed down and Luke was ready to settle down. They have a great place in Malibu and tons of friends visiting and partying on the beach. Last night's phone call was pretty typical.

"Hey baby, I miss you." He sounded awake even though it was 1 am.

"I miss you too. I'm gonna snag this account soon and then I'll be home." She sighed as she fell back on the pillows wrapped in a towel.

"When do you think that'll happen?"

"Probably next week some time. Legal is flying in on Monday. At least I can get some rest at the hotel. Maybe. They all want to crash some club and party."

"You sound tired, baby."

"I am." She was already half asleep. "I'll call you tomorrow."

Sometimes when she was in the corporate office, someone would approach her about Luke. An autograph, or an invite to their party. He was still a celeb. She rarely asked Luke to attend those things, they wanted to use him, not really be friends. And that shit gets old after a decade. Now he only wants to sit on the deck, write music and sing with his friends. So, she only asked him to attend when it benefited her.

She saw it like this, it was her turn to shine now. People knew her when she and Luke walked the red carpet. She put up with all the drugs and other groupies for the brass ring. Now she can do her thing and he'll be there at home, holding down the fort. Ironic that their roles were reversed but were comfortable and happy.

She slipped into a wrap dress that showed off every curve. She might be older, but the body hasn't given in to gravity, yet. A breakfast meeting in the hotel and then she should have the weekend to chill and watch movies in her hotel room.

Only that's not how it turns out. When she got downstairs, the VP had his whole team there. He was smiling and shaking hands. As she slid into a chair at his table with a cup of coffee in hand, he slapped down a sheaf of papers.

"There you go Jem. I think you're going to be pleased. The team worked all night on it, so they can have the weekend off. And I'm sure you're anxious to get home to your rock star." He was smiling wide.

She glanced through the papers and then reached across the table, shaking his hand. She felt the urge to whoop and dance, but stood and looked at everyone on his team. "You all know this is going to be epic. EPIC!" She applauded. "I'll have everything signed and back to you on Monday." The VP nodded and they chatted a bit, then went to their rooms to pack up.

Jem emailed a copy of the contract to her office and then packed up her bags. If she could grab the afternoon flight back to Los Angeles, she could be having dinner with Luke. The five-hour flight would give her time to get all her paperwork done and maybe have a nap. Her boss was already hammering her with congrats and legal was already looking at the contract. It looked awesome.

The flight arrived on time and she'd managed to get a little rest on the plane. Retrieving her bags in bag claim, she looked for the driver of the car service waiting to take her home. She slid into the back of the car and fixed her makeup while the driver fought with the traffic. She wouldn't be home for dinner...but definitely dessert.

She let herself in and dropped her bags at the door. First kicking off her heels, she padded into the living room, looking for Luke. She heard his voice down in the bedroom. He must be on the phone, she thought. She could hear him laughing. Smiling, she pushed open the bedroom door. He wasn't in there, he was in the bathroom and from the sounds of splashing, he was in the garden tub. She walked toward the bathroom door and then stopped as a female voice joined in the laughter. What the....

Jem slowly opened the bathroom door and saw Luke in the tub with some chick on his lap. The air left Jem's lungs and everything stopped. She stopped breathing. They stopped talking. All Jem could see was the look in Luke's eyes as he scrambled from the tub. Neither one of them said a word. Her world dropped away as the man of her life... her LIFE tried to form the words of some excuse.

"I didn't know you were back, baby. It's not what it looks like."

Jem pushed past him and looked down at the woman in the tub. "You want it. You can have it, bitch." The woman started laughing. Jem stared down at her, then slowly turned to look at Luke. "I don't know how this could be anything than what I see." Then glancing at the vanity, she grabs the hair dryer and drops it in the tub. Luke dove for the appliance and yanked it from the water as the other woman started screaming at the top of her lungs.

"Baby, don't do this!"

She looked at him holding the wet dryer. "It wasn't plugged in, but it should have been." Turning and flipping the bird over her shoulder. "Bye Luke." She grabbed her suitcase still sitting by the door and made for the garage. She'll still get some rest this weekend. And maybe a nice massage...



1111 words

© Copyright 2020 Legerdemain (UN: legerdemain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Legerdemain has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/980400