*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/980649
Rated: XGC · Book · Opinion · #1501776
May my opinions gather wind under their wings and fly, perchance to soar.
#980649 added April 9, 2020 at 10:57pm
Restrictions: None
Trauma is personal
Trauma is personal
9.abril.2020

I responded to a rant by Elisa the Bunny Stik in her blog, entry "Who are we to try to predict the future now?:

I have since edited my response.

Interesting read ... but that's why I read it. *Smile*

I find it hard on-line and especially at spacebook when an event is reduced to "this is traumatic". No ... events are not necessarily traumatizing. For example, I was NOT traumatized by 911. It was one day of that year when bad things happened. I did NOT play it over and over again again as the government played a gaslighting game of yellow-orange-red alerts. Others, however were severely traumatized. And of course, their trauma affected all of us. And continues to do so every time we go through an airport.

Trauma is very specific to a person. Yes, I was traumatized (seriously) by other personal events in my life. But my trauma was due to my body's reaction to that event. Even now I jump if someone behind me yells. I have little control over my first response. Yet, others went through similar trials without my issues. Not everyone's mind and body reacts the same.

Having been traumatized, it's hard when people dismiss me because they think I'm overreacting (the get-over-it faux friends) or want to pour pity on me like unholy water (I did not consent to be baptized). However, if someone has been through their own shit and needs to share or hug? It can be healing ... if only for a moment.

Empathy is fine. Ignorance is not. Sympathy is found in the dictionary between shit and syphilis.

Personally, I don't have too much trouble with the facts behind the quote you mention, other than I would feel preached at. And I don't like being preached at. It's too giddy, too soon and leaves out all the dead bodies strewn along the way (are they mere collateral damage?).

As for health among the African American community. Jim Crow ain't dead, never was, and until the USA treats ALL of its citizens in a respectful equitable way Jim Crow be doing a dance over the bones of those deemed less worthy.

Well, now that I got rid of some steam (there's more, but not right now) I need to do some other chores. And I should copy/paste that quote and give my own reasons why I do and do not like it. But that too is for another day.

Much thanks to Stik for the opportunity let the shit fly!
638

© Copyright 2020 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/980649