*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
4
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/981696-illumination
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#981696 added April 21, 2020 at 2:38pm
Restrictions: None
illumination
April 20th Prompt
by 🛸 Sum1 🗿 (709)

Well, I e-mailed it, and forgot to post it. Dang it! Still getting used to doing these things.


Every once in a while, more often maybe, depending on your location, power goes out. Do you have easy access to candles or flashlights? Do you know where they are? When was the last time you checked that your flashlight worked or that you had matches with the candles for when the lights go out? Describe where you keep them.
         Short answer, yes. I do have candles and flashlights and I know where they are kept waiting to be of service. Throughout my home, candles stand vigil ready to light my space if so needed. They sit in ceramic saucers, or fancy decorative holders. I also have a former cookie tin stuffed with candles and wooden matches. This container has pride of place on a lower book shelf.
         I refuse to use the cheap matchbook matches. They are flimsy and difficult to force into a flame. I prefer the sturdy wooden matches that are housed in an equally strong box complete with a sizeable striking surface. They flare readily. I'm not handy with lighters, you know, fuel-filled flame throwers for smokers. I tend to burn myself and I wish to retain the fingerprints that I currently still have.
         Yep, there are also flashlights lurking in cupboards. Two years ago, I purchased a jumbo package of batteries from Costco. They may be bequeathed to my children. I doubt I will burn through them in my lifetime. I found rechargeable batteries in a basket, so, I'm prepared to power anything.
         Every autumn, I tote home the battery operated lamp I use in my camper. Power outages occur regularly in the winter. On Sunday, I blew the dust off this lamp and pushed in its magic button. In the gloom, it's a bright beacon capable of directing planes on a runway. The power left me for several hours and I had a book to finish devouring. I lit a couple of candles, more for the ambiance. Nothing says home like flickering candles and shadows dancing on the walls.

© Copyright 2020 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/981696-illumination