*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
4
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/981698-Do-You-Hear-What-I-Hear
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#981698 added April 21, 2020 at 3:16pm
Restrictions: None
Do You Hear What I Hear?
April 21st Prompt
by 🛸 Sum1 🗿 (709)

I love this one! And since I have to get up and be in a virtual classroom ready to teach at 8 am, I thought I'd post this now.

Be silent for 5 minutes with your eyes closed. What do you hear? What regular sounds does your house make that you aren't consciously aware of?
         
         
         
         
         Okay, I closed my eyes and tuned my ears. I'm aware that I am slurping my tea and it's not warm anymore. Damn! Tea dribbled down my chin. Apparently, I should sip tea with my eyes open. I heard the ceramic mug clink against the wooden surface of my desk. Hooray, I didn't spill it.
         My cellphone chirps to indicate I have a text message. I am forced to open my eyes to read it and it's nothing but junk mail, irritating.
         I hear the wet sucking sound of vehicle tires driving through fresh slush. Sigh, it's snowing...again...still. I'm sitting next to a window that faces the street.
         The silver clock ensconced on a kitchen wall is relentless with its constant, precise tick, tick. I believe it's vying for attention and attempting to drown out the steady hum of the refrigerator. Everyday, I listen for that sign of life from an appliance that is over twenty years old. Sometimes, it wheezes like an asthmatic. Early this morning, it shuddered to life with a groan when the power was restored. I knew the hydro had abandoned us only because the microwave beeped a warning as it always does.
         Snow is battering the nearby window and propelled by a howling wind. Winter is reluctant to depart.
         The computer whirrs as if thinking aloud.
         Vehicles rumble past outside. The cable that runs the length of this building squeaks and that darn loose siding slaps the wall, over and over. It has yet to reach a metallic screech/scratch/scrape. The window rattles. My chair creaks; I know it wasn't my knees 'cause I haven't moved.
         Muffled voices float in. The wind distorts them.

© Copyright 2020 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/981698-Do-You-Hear-What-I-Hear