*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/982480-Too-many-answers
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1718540
Day to day stuff....a memoir without order.
#982480 added May 1, 2020 at 10:10am
Restrictions: None
Too many answers
My husband would have been 77 on May 16th and when I turned over my calendar this morning, of course that was the first date my eyes went to. Surprisingly, on my little desk calendar it says "Armed Forces Day."

I didn't know that. Is this something new? Jim would have been pleased since he was in the Air Force. I Googled it. It is a federal holiday observed annually on the third Saturday of May so that must be why I never noticed it before, just coincidence that it falls on the 16th this year.

The information went on to say it is part of Armed Forces Week which begins on the second Saturday in May. The day itself was first declared by John F. Kennedy in 1961 which "coincidentally" was the year Jim entered the Air Force. We are supposed to be having "exercises, parades, and receptions that highlight and honor our amazing military and all of its strength."

Then in another article it says the holiday is celebrated thanks to Harry S. Truman. And in another article Armed Forces Day was officially created by U.S. Sec. of Defense Louis Johnson in 1949.

Okay, I give up. This is too mind-boggling for this time of day. At any rate, I will be sure to tell Jim when I take him flowers on the 16th. Or maybe we already knew this and I have just forgotten...possible.

© Copyright 2020 Happy April 2024! (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Happy April 2024! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/982480-Too-many-answers