*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
12
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/985581-Favourite-Poems-and-Poets
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#985581 added June 13, 2020 at 2:50pm
Restrictions: None
Favourite Poems and Poets
Blog City - Day 2156

Have you ever asked someone what their favorite poem is? It's not as easy as you would think for them to name an author and a poem with the reason why.
One of mine is Marge Piercy's The Moon is Always Female. I was trying to understand women in general.
Please recommend a couple to us and why.


Right off the top of my head, I would have to say Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken.
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/44272/the-road-not-taken
I love the imagery of two paths and a yellow wood. I can see it in my minds eye. Both beautiful. Both full of possibility and wonder. I like the aspect of the physical as well as the metaphorical aspect of picking a way to go, knowing that in the choosing, you may not come back to chose again. The way you go marks your life's path.

I also ran across a poet just recently that I quite like - Langston Hughes. His voice is true and clear. He makes me think and remember that we each have an experience worthy of being told. Mine is no better or worse than his, just different and that difference makes this world more diverse and expansive. We need to learn to appreciate what each of us brings to the table. Keep open minds and hearts. Learn from each other.
Theme For English B by Langston Hughes.
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/47880/theme-for-english-b

Another poet I had the pleasure of hearing read her work last fall at the Kingston Writer's Festival is Abena Beloved Green. Hearing her speak her poems, seeing her strong, supportive entourage of family, and reading her words myself - over and over, I was moved by her keen eye and strong voice. I highly recommend her book of poetry - The Way We Hold On. Today I read 'Slow and Steady' and found myself smiling at her words and how much they pertain to our times.

Here is an excerpt from that poem:

The sloth is the keeper of the lost art of living
in
the
moment.
Being slothful should mean
having mastered stillness and intention;
possessing impeccable control.
The sloth is unfazed by the propaganda,
The sloth never lines up for the rat race.
The next time someone tells me I am being slothful,
I will say, "Thank you. I try."


This is a link to another poem. I love listening to her strong voice... enjoy.
https://abenagreen.ca/blog/2018/06/03/stretch-marks-spoken-word-poetry/



© Copyright 2020 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/985581-Favourite-Poems-and-Poets