*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
7
8
9
10
11
12
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/986364-In-between-stars
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #1311011
A terminal for all blogs coming in or going out. A view into my life.
#986364 added June 23, 2020 at 4:22pm
Restrictions: None
In between stars
The specimen is from planet: "Invalid Item by bobturn

"Sometimes the loneliest place is in a crowd."

We have left Planet Teal and its pulsating sun. We slowly wind down our affairs. The Landers still seek to understand what they found; but soon, they too will shut down.

It's an empty lonely place, this void between stars.

A few have already sealed themselves in their quarters. They will snooze for however long it takes. Others make preparations. Our visit was much shorter than expected and some of the specialists were never woken up. For them this wasn't even a dream.

There are those who stay awake, who love the ensuing silence. They're a very tight crew. They live for the emptiness between these pinpricks of light, rest when we've arrived. Seldom do they ever ask to go planetside. They're known as the Wings.

Fortunately a couple are gardeners and harvesters. The needs of the crew lessen. Even Cook makes plans to retire to his slumber. He writes menus for the Wings. They could survive on bird seed, he grumbles.

This home away from home is always crowded. But like a mausoleum, it only echoes the words of the living who dare to speak.

There's a kind of a hush all over our winged world.

It settles in like dust.

Soon I'll doze too, but not for long. I'll wake up to check our status ever-so-often. It's my job.

In two 'days' the captain and her crew will leave the 'bridge' to the Wings and the lonely time-between-stars will ensue.

For:
 
FORUM
Space Blog  (ASR)
Cruising WDC cyberspace and raiding ports for blog prompts!
#2223838 by Sharmelle's Expressions


2.486

© Copyright 2020 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/986364-In-between-stars