*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
4
6
10
11
12
13
14
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/991025-Ethiopia-Hella-Tella
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#991025 added August 17, 2020 at 2:54pm
Restrictions: None
Ethiopia Hella Tella
Day 16 ADDIS ABABA, ETHIOPIA
         
         
         
         Huh, I like the name of today's hotel, Golden Tulip Addis Ababa. It's different. I had no time to admire or explore it. Our whirlwind tour awaited.
         Once again, my fellow bloggers and I took to the sky for a short flight to a World Heritage Site in Lalibela. We wandered and climbed amongst the hand carved stone churches created at the behest of a King Lalibela in the twelfth century. I cannot fathom the skill and strength required to create these churches from solid rock. Arches, steps, religious figures and crosses were all hand hewn in a manner that today would be attempted by excavating equipment. Supposedly the King wished to recreate Jerusalem in Ethiopia. Even the nearby river is named Jordan. This site is a testament to human ingenuity. I wonder how many feet have traversed these steps and contributed to their smoothness? How many voices have echoed in the chambers?
         After our religious reflections, we opted to partake of a secular refreshment. We traipsed with a guide to three different 'tellabet" or beer houses in the nearby village. "Tella" or beer is a local drinking staple brewed in the homes of residents. This beer is fermented in whatever containers can be found such as cans and pots. It is not strained and free of sediment, but this adds to its authentic flavour. Each brew has its own unique tang and each host/hostess smilingly offers us a sample. They are hospitable. I notice the shared cups or tins are not cleansed well after use , but this is part of the charm.
         On unsteady wobbly legs we re-board our return flight to the hotel. We may have snoozed / snored briefly. We opt to dine at the hotel's restaurant named Spice mainly because it's located on the ground floor and easy to access after our 'busy' day. Many of us order coffee and it's rich and flavourful. With a second wind, we natter and relax.

© Copyright 2020 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/991025-Ethiopia-Hella-Tella