*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
4
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
16
18
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/994805-Worldy-Wise
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #2223922
A tentative blog to test the temperature.
#994805 added October 1, 2020 at 7:59pm
Restrictions: None
Worldy Wise
Worldly Wise

I think I have figured out why I have been drawn into the horror camp in spite of not really liking horror stories and movies. It’s because there I can be in worlds other than this one. My main interest has always been fantasy (scifi to some extent) and there, again, is my dislike of today’s reality.

The way I see it, reality is what we’re trying to get away from when we read. People who’re into it go to dinner parties, climb mountains and learn to fly small planes. The rest of us read to leave this world and go somewhere else. And, when you survive in WdC through the contests, you have to go where you know you can write. In other words, you look for the prompts that encourage the creation of new worlds and different situations.

And guess who has the best prompts in WdC. SCREAMS!!!, Dark Dreamscapes and the like. It’s no wonder that so many of my short stories of late have been attempts at horror. And quite a few of my poems too.

Understand, I’m not saying that everyone should feel the same. It’s just that it has long been strange to me that I write so much horror now, after never writing it before WdC. And now I understand why. I no longer have to worry about falling into the clutches of the dark side - I’m in control!



Word Count: 236

© Copyright 2020 Beholden (UN: beholden at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Beholden has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/994805-Worldy-Wise