*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/998336-Major-Sanjay-Chauhan-Shaurya-Chakra
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #2171316
As the first blog entry got exhausted. My second book
#998336 added November 21, 2020 at 2:11pm
Restrictions: None
Major Sanjay Chauhan, Shaurya Chakra*.
On 14 December 1991, *Second Lieutenant Sanjay Chauhan* was commissioned as an Officer in the Rajputana Rifles. The Raj Rif as it is commonly called is one of the bravest and valiant Infantry Regiments of the Indian Army.

1n 1993 orders were received for the Battalion to be inducted in the Kashmir Valley. Just a few years ago, militancy had erupted in the Kashmir Valley.

On 21 October 1994, credible intelligence inputs were received that about 70-80 militants would be congregating in the morning of 28 October 1994 in Village Lachimpora of Wariban Forest which fell in his area of operations.


Sanjay along with his team of four soldiers, disguised themselves in the traditional salwar kameez and on top of it wore Perens. Perens is oversized tunics. They wore Peshawari turbans as the headgear. Thus they looked like the militants operating in the Valley. Sanjay and his men knew a bit of Pushto language so blending into the militant's congregation would be easy.

At daybreak on 29 October 1994, Sanjay and his team, wearing the traditional attire with AK-47 assault rifles tucked under the Perens, walked down the mountain spur to the Village ground where the militants had gathered. A Junior Commissioned Officer (JCO) and 20 men were the Reserve Party giving them cover from the mountain ridge above and were to come to their aid in case the situation so warranted.

Sanjay and his team reached the congregation and exchanged pleasantries with the militants gathered there. But their accent soon raised suspicion in the mind of few militants. Realizing that now was the opportune moment, Sanjay and his team opened fire and killed 17 militants on the spot. The other militants ran helter-skelter and then regrouped.

Meanwhile, Sanjay and his team took cover in a small hill near the village. Soon 25-30 militants encircled them. Sanjay tried contacting the men of the Reserve Party for assistance but the radio communication did not get through.

Soon Sanjay and his team killed eleven more militants before they ran out of ammunition. The militants closed in and a hand to hand fight started. Sanjay and his team killed eight more militants bare-handed before all of them were overpowered and captured alive by the militants.

*Major Sanjay Chauhan* and his team sacrificed their lives in the Service of the Nation with disregard to their safety, in the highest traditions of Valour and Bravery of the Indian Army.

For the conspicuous act of bravery *Major Sanjay Chauhan* was awarded the *Shaurya Chakra* which is the Nation's third-highest award.

The Government of Himachal Pradesh installed a statue of *Major Sanjay Chauhan, Shaurya Chakra* in the main chowk of Solan as a tribute and testimony to the rich and brave legacy of the Officer who did the Nation proud by his selfless actions.

To quote the famous American author Francis Marion Crawford. *"They fell, but o'er their glorious graves, floats free the banner of the cause they died to save."*


© Copyright 2020 sindbad (UN: sindbad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
sindbad has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/998336-Major-Sanjay-Chauhan-Shaurya-Chakra