*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1028964
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Community · #939896
Have something that just makes you mad? Well, here's the place to complain about it!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 1, 2005 at 1:55pm
people at grocery stores
by spidey
I actually had a good experience at the grocery store today, which is very uncommon for me. People were actually moving out of my way and being polite today!

Normally, though, people seem to act their worst in grocery stores, and in stores in general, really. And (surprise, surprise) I have a theory about this!

The problem with stores is that it generates a conflict between a person's public and private life. A person is forced to make their private items and possessions known to the public. Anyone around them can see what brands of products they prefer, what foods they eat, etc. These can be quite personal things, yet their displayed in public, and I think this conflict creates some animosity in consumers.

Case in point, in the last few years supermarkets have begun giving out cards and memberships for the store's "special club" that entitles the member to special deals and discounts. The membership (in most cases) is free, and the only catch is that marketing companies (and others, perhaps) are privy to information on the purchases made by the customer. I have personally known some people who were outraged at this idea. I believe I even saw a program on the news about it, and how it is "an invasion of privacy." People were shocked to learn that their purchases were known to others, in exchange for the discount they received. It's the mix of private and public life that disturbed them so, and in my opinion, this explains the common grouchiness of the average customer.

a sig that was made for me.

Check these out:
 The Daily Rant  [13+]
Have something that just makes you mad? Well, here's the place to complain about it!
by poisonivy

Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor

Signature for Between the Lines members-- smaller than the full-size header.
"Spidey's Tangled Web [18+]

** Image ID #932564 Unavailable **
"Invalid Item

Merit Badge in Reviewing
[Click For More Info]

Ranked # 69   Public Reviewer  for the month of  July 2007 . For more details, please see  [Link To Item #614925] . Merit Badge in Friendship
[Click For More Info]

This badge is given to you on behalf of  [Link To User cat-claws] , for being a wonderful friend to her! *^*Smile*^* Merit Badge in Writing.Com  1st Anniversary
[Click For More Info]

Congratulations on your  1st  Writing.Com Account Anniversary!
** Image ID #931281 Unavailable **
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
people at grocery stores · 03-01-05 1:55pm
by spidey

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, poisonivy.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1028964