*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1033415
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Community · #939896
Have something that just makes you mad? Well, here's the place to complain about it!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 9, 2005 at 11:44am
Health Concerns
Grouchy Smurf says, "I hate being healthy!"

Constantly changing health "standards" - How much water is enough in a day? No one knows! Experts always said to have 8 glasses a day, or 64 ounces. Have you tried that lately? It's difficult! I drink a lot of water (I've been dubbed "water girl" by more than one person), but I don't drink that much! I usually try to drink at least 32 ounces a day. Some experts are now saying that your body only loses 32 ounces a day, and there are no benefits to drinking more than that. But who knows...they'll probably change their minds in a couple weeks.

Also, people can't seem to agree on how much of certain foods you should eat, what types of vitamins are good or bad (and how much of each), and how much of which type of exercise we should have. The food pyramid is a thing of the past (supposedly)..have you seen what they replaced it with? They want people to have like 15 servings of vegetables per day! It's crazy! I just read an article this morning that says that Vitamin C isn't as great as we once thought it was. According to the artcile, it doesn't help prevent colds! And we only need roughly 75 mg of Vitamin C a day. Any more than that is considered a waste, because it is not absorbed by your body.

And what about this trans fat craze? I have to admit, I've gotten all wrapped up in trying to eliminate trans fat from my diet. But it's really difficult to do when it is in nearly every food imaginable. The so-called experts haven't decided how much trans fat is a safe amount.

I just read an article today about sleep. It seems that 8 hours of sleep may be too much. Some say that if you get more than 8 hours of sleep, you will actually die younger than someone who gets less sleep. So they are saying that 7 hours of sleep is enough. Then again, another article says that if you sleep more, you will lose more weight. Is it because you can't eat when you're asleep?

With all these changes and contradicting articles, how are we supposed to know how to be healthy?
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Health Concerns · 03-09-05 11:44am
by poisonivy

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, poisonivy.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1033415