*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1036872
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Community · #939896
Have something that just makes you mad? Well, here's the place to complain about it!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 15, 2005 at 11:56am
Advertisements for Prescription Medications
I really don't understand the current boom in advertising for prescription medications. It's not like if I see an ad for Allegra, I can just go to the doctor and ask for it. Can I? These advertisements are implying that a patient can go to a doctor and ask for a medication without being diagnosed, or without considering which is the best medication. Why are they leaving it up to the patient to decide which medication is best for a condition? How do I know if Claritin or Allegra is better for my allergies? I'd rather let my doctor prescribe medication.

Another problem that I have with medication advertisements is all of the "ED" ads. Now, I'm 25 and pretty open-minded, so I don't really have a problem with seeing ads for Erectile Dysfunction medication on tv. I'm also immature enough to snicker a little at some of the jokes in the commercials. But I work with some slightly older women, and they offer a different perspective. Some of them have young children, and they have to answer some pretty embarassing questions. I do believe that parents need to be more open and frank with children instead of sugar-coating things, but then again, I don't have any children of my own. I may react differently when I have children.

But my main problem with "ED" advertising is: why? What is the need for advertising for these products? Don't you think that if someone did have this type of problem, they would go to a doctor? Then the doctor could tell them about their options. I guess what it boils down to is the fact that I don't want to hear about it anymore.

Okay, I feel better now. Have a nice day!
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Advertisements for Prescription Medications · 03-15-05 11:56am
by poisonivy

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, poisonivy.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1036872