*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1506167
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 8, 2007 at 7:19pm
Re: Re: Re: What wouldn't you write?
Would you write a scene that had a minor being raped?

It depends on the tone. If I was ever called to write it I expect it would be in a book that focuses on the victims strength in overcoming the horror of that experience. A survivor's recount and probably only flashes of memory. It would be a very hard experience to write, especially give my past and the past of my family, but in a way that is part of why I might be better able to do the scene.

I wouldn't be able to do anything like that light-heartedly or from the POV of the person doing the crime. I also wouldn't be able to write it as a crime story (like CSI: Special Victims Unit).

Would you use words that you know would generate strong emotions in others, emotions of hate or rage, if the scene or character called for it?

Strong emotions, yes. Hate or rage? I'd be wary unless the emotions were firmly directed at a character in my story. Having a reader feel strongly is one of my goals as a writer. I want them to care about my characters. I want them to cry for them and to feel indignation for them and I want them to be rooting for the characters while also understanding the bad guy just a little. If my protagonist is feeling hate or rage towards an antagonist and it was fairly centered on THAT person and not 'people LIKE that' then yes, I would use it.

Of course, things like that need to be used with tact and caution. I want people to put my books down and feel like they're waking up into reality rather than still living the story. Perhaps that's why I write fantasy and romance, two genres where the world changes when you read it. I don't think I could write anything that involved me being in the head of someone who could commit crimes like rape or murder.

But again, all this depends on what I'm called to do. If I have a story screaming in my head to be written I'll write it. I mightn't enjoy writing it, I mightn't attempt to get it published, but if I don't write it then it'll just keep screaming in my head and prevent me moving onto other stories. *ponders* Does that make sense?

Have fun and keep writing,
Yours truly,
Rebecca Laffar-Smith

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
What wouldn't you write? · 05-06-07 11:21pm
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: What wouldn't you write? · 05-06-07 11:29pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: What wouldn't you write? · 05-07-07 12:18am
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith
Re: Re: What wouldn't you write? · 05-07-07 12:37am
by Lori Basiewicz
*Star* Re: Re: Re: What wouldn't you write? · 05-08-07 7:19pm
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith
Re: Re: Re: Re: What wouldn't you write? · 05-09-07 3:26am
by Marcia Landa
Re: Re: Re: What wouldn't you write? · 04-29-08 1:53pm
by Mara ♣ McBain
Re: What wouldn't you write? · 05-08-07 2:15pm
by 627

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1506167