*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1506624
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 9, 2007 at 1:21pm
Edited: May 9, 2007 at 1:23pm
Re: Any HOW-TO's for disorganized writer
Everyone has a different view on how to get a story down and say it the best possible way. Some authors likes to make an outline. I don't and maybe I'm wrong. I like to invent characters, put them down and let them decide how to get from Point A to Point B.

Get into a good, difficult critique group. They are frank but not rude. Grow a spine and take the good along with the bad. Don't harshly criticize others if you don't think what they wrote will fly. Casually mention what you think may or may not work and..gentle ideas. After all, no one writes exactly alike with the same style.

Don't follow rules off a cliff, I heard someone say.

Be realistic with your characters...,would this really happen this way?

Avoid repetition and all its forms like the plague ....this means repetition of words, phrases and ideas. Repetition will bore your readers.

Get rid of most passive words such as "was" "were" Get rid of most "could" "should" unnecessary taglines, "have" "has" "is" "are" "ly" words, "quite" "very"

Learn to write in Motivation and Response or effect units....

(someone or something outside causes the POV to react)

Don't switch POV's in a scene.

Don't use lame verbs...instead of walked use sauntered, promenaded, strode, and tiptoed etc.

Put your story away for a couple of weeks. Don't look at it once. Pick it up and read it out loud and make notes as you read about what you want to change.

There are probably some more things I should mention, but I can't remember them right now.

Thanks,

mck

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only ** ~ ** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
· 12-31-69 7:00pm
by A Guest Visitor
Re: Any HOW-TO's for disorganized writer · 05-05-07 7:33pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Any HOW-TO's for disorganized writer · 05-05-07 10:10pm
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith
Re: Re: Re: Any HOW-TO's for disorganized writer · 05-06-07 11:24pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Any HOW-TO's for disorganized writer · 05-06-07 11:38am
by DEKS
Re: Any HOW-TO's for disorganized writer · 05-06-07 11:20pm
by Lori Basiewicz
*Star* Re: Any HOW-TO's for disorganized writer · 05-09-07 1:21pm
by Carol McKenzie

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1506624