*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1527542
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 13, 2007 at 1:45pm
Re: Title Trouble
by A Non-Existent User
I think it depends a lot on what's in it and usually I think it takes several tries before you move beyond the cliches.

My book I of my fantasy series is about a sword smith who goes through a cycle of pursuing his dream of studying magic, disaster strikes and he abandons his dream to protect those around him, then something threatens those he loves anyways and he decides that going full forward for his dreams is the only way to have the power to protect those he cares for.

Thus I came up with the title of "Forger of Dreams". On the other hand, the working title is still how it is labeled in my Portfolio - "The Heart of the Dragon". I found a couple problems with it. Very cliche - especially for fantasy, and frankly although the title made sense to me, without the reader knowing more about the over all plot, it doesn't make any sense to them. Everyone spends all their time trying to find the "dragon" and figure out the connection to the story. I typically come up with a non-committal working title, then don't worry about nailing a "cool" title until after at least the first draft is complete. By that time, I have given it some thought, some time to simmer and usually have a few ideas to play with.

-Renegade

Do you have a dream?
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
This character does, but what is the price of a dream?

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only ** ** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

Especially for LDS and Friends!  (E)
A place to mingle and meet friends.
#1127078 by Aerix~ The Storm Dragon
MESSAGE THREAD
Title Trouble · 06-13-07 11:00am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Title Trouble · 06-13-07 1:31pm
by Lori Basiewicz
*Star* Re: Title Trouble · 06-13-07 1:45pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Title Trouble · 06-13-07 8:14pm
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith
Re: Title Trouble · 06-14-07 4:36am
by GoddessOfPurgatory

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1527542