*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1543963
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jul 10, 2007 at 9:45am
FACT SLIPPING INTO FICTION
I think I am having the opposite problem than you thought. I was not asking about fiction slipping into a factual book. I am not trying to put myself on the paper. The book is not about me. The book is fiction. My problem hasn't been letting fiction slip into some factual book; it has keeping parts of my life (presented as fiction, of course) from muddling up the storyline. I, of course, have revised and rewritten time after time. I have been working on the book since Oct. of 2005 and it has shifted and changed as I rewrite. I love that part of writing.

When I go back and revise most of the parts that absolutely aren't working have slipped in from the background, or what I wanted to happen. of the experience I had that triggered the book....but the book is not about me or that experience. I draw from my own experiences and those of the people around, but neither I nor anyone I know has come close to living this story. I guess that's why I started the Fact to Fiction contest. If any part of my actual real life helps the story, fine - it's in the book, but that isn't what's happening.

I have sort of resolved this issue in my own mind. The worst parts of the books are the "true" parts. In the process of writing this book some of my blocked past and repressed emotions have found their way out...although they don't belong in this story, or at least not in as much detail. I guess I should thank the muses for that instead of complaining.

Actually the original post was pointless and was written in frustration during a revision that involved heavy cutting. I could not have written anything else because I write what's there to write. I don't preplan so even though I clearly see that most of the cutting involves truth more closely than the rest of the book, I guess it was there to write, so I did. How could fact not slip into fiction?

I just wish all that personal stuff that is mine instead of the main character's would stay out of the book so I wouldn't have to cut it out later.

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

Let me see the best in a person and accept the rest.
MESSAGE THREAD
Does fact ever get in the way of fiction? · 06-17-07 6:19pm
by the1stephzen
Re: Does fact ever get in the way of fiction? · 06-17-07 11:31pm
by Marcia Landa
Re: Re: Does fact ever get in the way of fiction? · 06-18-07 1:42pm
by Amarisa
Re: Re: Re: Does fact ever get in the way of fiction? · 06-27-07 9:22am
by the1stephzen
Re: Re: Re: Re: Does fact ever get in the way of fiction? · 07-09-07 11:34pm
by A Non-Existent User
*Star* FACT SLIPPING INTO FICTION · 07-10-07 9:45am
by the1stephzen

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1543963