*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1582510
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Sci-fi · #420688
Welcome Trekkers. Have a cup of Klingon Raktajino, and enjoy our friendly Starbase.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 16, 2007 at 4:35am
Who Was The Greatest Captain & Why...?
Hello everyone, the subject of my post is likely one that will polarize most fans of STAR TREK's various incarnations because, quite simply, I'm asking your opinion.

But why, you ask? Simple again: because I have a strong opinion on the matter and love to mix it up forum-style over opinions--- mine and or anyone elses.

To start the quantum torpedoes blazing I will lead off with my personal nominee for Greatest Captain, Captain Kathyrn Janeway, commander of the USS Voyager. That's right, blink your eyes all you want, recheck your tricorders and do a mind-meld or two but you will find there is no mistake, I actually DIDN'T nominate the flamboyant Captain James T. Kirk! Oh no! What will we do?!? Has Q inverted the universe again?!? Did someone throw The Guardian Of Forever into The Celestial Temple?!?!

The answer, happily, is no, Reality as we understand it is still the way it was last I checked. But yes, as a fan of every Trek series except ENTERPRISE, I've seen each Captain come and go and, to me, none sat the Bridge or dealt with the complex issues of command with more heart & soul than Captain Janeway. She brought the nurturing humanity and strength of character to the starship captaincy in a way vastly different than the approach of her more "famous" forebears. And, in addition, we cannot forget that while besting the BORG in a way not even Picard ever managed, she also had the insight and compassion to reach out and embrace the one Borg we ALL wanted to embrace, 7of9! Come on, be honest with yourselves, no single character--- with exception to Dax & Worf getting married--- ever created as big a ripple in the consciousness of fans than 7of9 did making her debut in her first silver "uniform"!

But I digress (a little).

Captain Janeway, cut off from Starfleet support and cast deep into the midst of unknown territories truly accomplished in full the tenet of the collective adventure: "Our mission, to seek out new life and new civilizations; to boldly go where no man has gone before." She did it, succeeded on levels no other Captain has touched before or since and accomplished it with a subtle style and unflinching strength and conviction that made galactic gigolo Kirk look like a LOVE BOAT reject.

So lets hear it for the understated and often underestimated Captain's Captain, Kathyrn Janeway! Thank you for showing all us Earthbound hopefuls gazing up into the starry night sky just what might be out there and giving us by example a template for what true frontier-expanding leadership--- and genuine humanity--- really is...

Now you've heard/ read my opening salvo, by all means give me equal doses of why you agree or why you disagree, I'm not hard to get a hold of. Hey, you won't even need a subspace relay...

---ONYX
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Who Was The Greatest Captain & Why...? · 09-16-07 4:35am
by Onyx: a PURPLE MANIAC!
Re: Who Was The Greatest Captain & Why...? · 09-16-07 7:52pm
by tYpO/T.Boilerman
Re: Re: Who Was The Greatest Captain & Why...? · 09-16-07 11:28pm
Re: Re: Re: Who Was The Greatest Captain & Why...? · 09-16-07 11:54pm
by tYpO/T.Boilerman
Re: Re: Re: Re: Who Was The Greatest Captain & Why...? · 09-17-07 12:08am
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who Was The Greatest Captain & Why...? · 09-18-07 4:26pm
by Maryann
Re: Who Was The Greatest Captain & Why...? · 09-19-07 4:25pm
by Acme
Re: Re: Who Was The Greatest Captain & Why...? · 09-20-07 2:09pm
by Maryann
Re: Re: Who Was The Greatest Captain & Why...? · 09-25-07 12:54am
Re: Re: Re: Who Was The Greatest Captain & Why...? · 09-25-07 3:10am
by Acme
Re: Who Was The Greatest Captain & Why...? · 09-17-07 12:54am
by The Knight Has Found Romance
Re: Re: Who Was The Greatest Captain & Why...? · 09-17-07 1:27am
Re: Re: Re: Who Was The Greatest Captain & Why...? · 09-17-07 1:36am
by The Knight Has Found Romance
Re: Who Was The Greatest Captain & Why...? · 10-03-07 12:24am
by Caren Rose
Re: Re: Who Was The Greatest Captain & Why...? · 10-04-07 4:05pm
by Maryann
Re: Re: Re: Who Was The Greatest Captain & Why...? · 10-04-07 6:15pm
by Caren Rose

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Maryann.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1582510