*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1783112
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Contest · #1199662
48 hours to write a short story to a prompt. Enter to win great prizes.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 6, 2008 at 11:10am
Entry
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1470766 by Not Available.

The Letter
The sunlight was blinding to Christine as she stepped off her front step. It was the first time she’d been outside since he left five days ago, and going to get the mail at the end of her drive seemed like a huge task. She had to do something though, instead of mourning over the loss of her fiancé, Justin.

A chipmunk sat perched on her mailbox. Christine looked at it curiously, trying to decide if maybe it was a symbol of some sort, or if it was just rabid. Creatures such as this weren’t supposed to get this close to humans.

Carefully she opened the tiny door on her box, yanking out the letters and other items shoved tightly inside. The chipmunk didn’t budge, but watched her closely. After retrieving the mail, she took a few steps back, away from the creepy animal watching her.

Once sure the chipmunk wasn’t going to attack, she turned her focus to the items in her hands. The warmth of the new day felt good, so she stood outside soaking up the sun as she sorted through the mess of bills, cards, and junk. Mail certainly piles up when you take a vacation from reality.

She choked back fresh tears when she came to a letter with familiar handwriting. The return address bore no name, but simply an address. She knew the address. It belonged to Justin’s parents. Setting down the other items on the ground, she tapped the letter in her hands, unsure if she wanted to open it or not. Ultimately she decided it would do her no good to read it, and it should be immediately thrown away.

As she started toward the trash, the chipmunk leaped off the mailbox, darting right in front of Christine. Catching her by surprised, she tripped over the small mammal, falling face first into the dirt and dropping the potential love letter.

Before she could collect herself, the chipmunk snatched the letter and ran to the open front door. Darting into the house, he placed the letter on the table and raced back outside. Christine watched in amazement as the critter ran off into the near by wooded area. Apparently this chipmunk knew something she didn’t.

Picking herself up off the ground, Christine scooped up the rest of the mail and went back inside. She wished this letter hadn’t come to her, and she wished the pain would stop. All she wanted to do was forget about Justin, the fight they had, and broken promises. But after seeing the strange behavior of the wild animal, she figured it wasn’t going to be that easy to ignore. She would have to read it.

After a few hours of pacing and half a bottle of cheap wine, Christine sat at her kitchen table staring at the rectangular envelope in front of her. Taking a swig of her alcohol, she felt numb enough to open it. Her hands shook as she read the words, part from being inebriated and part from the flood of emotions gripping her.

Dear Christine,

I’ve made the biggest mistake of my life walking out on you. All the hurtful things I said can never be erased, and I know our life together will never be. I hope some day you can forgive me, as I cannot forgive myself. I’ve hurt you too deep to carry on.

Perhaps in another life we can be reunited, and I can make things right again.

Love always,
Justin

She read the lines over and over, trying to make sense of the words. Her head spun with possible meanings. Feeling the tears returning despite her drunken state, she made the choice to get rid of the letter, strange chipmunk or not.

Grabbing the scissors from her utility drawer, she cut the letters into pieces just like she was cutting him out of her life, and destroying any evidence they had ever been in love. The remains of the letter lay on the table in a heap, fragments of words jumbled together. Christine looked down at the shredded letter, still seeing the emotion behind it. This wasn’t good enough.

Taking the pieces in her hand, she threw them into the sink. Plucking a lighter from the same drawer as she had the scissors, she lit the pile of paper on fire. The flames were hypnotic, but Christine turned away. All the sudden she felt tired. Very tired. Staggering up the stairs to the comfort of her bed, she passed out.

The piercing beeps of the smoke alarm fell on deaf ears as Christine dreamed.

A warm, brilliant light surrounded Christine. She looked around seeing nothing, yet seeing everything. The fogginess of the alcohol was faded, and she was thinking clearly. An overwhelming desire to see Justin nagged at her heart.

Justin appeared as if by magic, reaching his hand to her. “Come with me, Christine. I want to take you home.”

Blinking once, the scene changed. Flames licked her bedroom walls, curling up her bed posts. Blinking again, she was back in the warmth of the lights next to Justin. Looking into his eyes, she knew this is where she belonged. Not quite knowing what was going on, but knowing she needed to be with him.

She took his hand, walking into the lights, feeling them burn her skin. In seconds it was all over, the light giving way to darkness and the pain ceasing.

Paramedics carried the charred remains of Christine’s body out of the burned house while neighbors gawked. Two firemen discussed their findings, and possible causes for the fire.

“Looks like the fire started in the kitchen. Probably caught curtains on fire,” one fireman stated.

The other nodded, peering over at the body covered with a sheet on the stretcher. “Wonder why she didn’t wake up though? The neighbors called it in. Said they heard the smoke alarm.”

A ghostly version of Christine and Justin watched the scene with intent. It was then Christine realized she was dead, and so was Justin. The letter now made sense, and the chain of events that followed.

Word Count: 1032
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Entry · 09-06-08 11:10am
by Dawn J. Stevens

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Legerdemain.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1783112