*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1801802
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 14, 2008 at 10:32am
Re: Day 16 Freebie Complete
by justme
Writing what you know is always best. Doing research and learning something new expands your horizons and lets you know more so you have more things to write about. Sometimes when I do research my story changes completely from what I had originally imagined. Other times I come to realize that not everything I thought I knew was really true. For instance, I've been researching some information about the Underground Railroad for a story I have where the two main characters escape from their owner and set out to find their freedom. I had often heard that maps were sewn into the designs of quilts and those who knew the 'code' could read them and find their way. I recently learned that's not really true. Many of the quilt patterns that were said to be 'maps' weren't created until the late 1800's and early 1900's, several decades after the Civil War was already concluded and the Westward Movement was well underway and nearing its completion! I had to go back and change that detail, which changed other details and ultimately altered the direction of my story completely from what I had originally intended.

It's surprising how one little detail can change so much. That's why I try to do a lot of research before I get too involved in writing the storyline. Once I imagine my characters and they start to become real in my mind it's hard to go back and change integral details without also changing my perception of the characters, their surroundings, and the events that play such a vital role in their lives and the story I am writing.

I'm using the days off to research and learn as much as I can about my setting(s) both in place and in time. With historical fiction, I find looking at pictures is a tremendous aid. It helps me to visualize the places as they were then. Looking through costume design books helps me see the clothing of the period I'm working in which serves to enhance the details I can gve to the reader, helping them to create an image that parallels what I see in my own mind. Visiting museums, watching period-themed movies... all of this helps me get a clearer picture in my mind, which helps me outline a more vivid image for the reader. Out local history museum has furnished rooms from different places and periods of history. I love to go there and imagine what it would have been like to live in such a room. After seeing a movie or reading books about what things ere like then, I imagine being there alone and think about what I would have done to occupy my time. I think about being there with family and how family life would have been then. I imagine having friends over and the things we would have done, what we would have worn, etc. I take lots of photos and come home and write about the things I'e imagines. Then I can draw on these writings as I build my characters and my stories, incorporating details from the photos into the setting to round out the imagery for the reader.

It's a lot of work, but it adds so much to the story and brings the characters and the settings to life, giving the reader a deeper sense of experiencing it for themselves rather than just reading about it... at least that's what I hope for anyhow.

Happy research!

Deborah

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
"Invalid Item
MESSAGE THREAD
Day 16 Freebie Complete · 10-14-08 9:59am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Day 16 Freebie Complete · 10-14-08 10:16am
by Dawn J. Stevens
*Star* Re: Day 16 Freebie Complete · 10-14-08 10:32am
by justme
Re: Re: Day 16 Freebie Complete · 10-14-08 10:51am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Day 16 Freebie Complete · 10-14-08 10:45am
by Storm Machine

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1801802