*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2124751
by Dee
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Educational · #1421315
Let your knowledge spill forth like a fountain or partake in the wisdom of those who do.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Aug 18, 2010 at 2:52pm
Genre Discussion: Dark
I know, last week was horror and suspense, and this week is dark...not a lot of difference, right?

I disagree. But that's just me. Something can have dark overtones (or undertones) without being either a horror or a suspense story. Which makes it more of a tone, or subgenre than a genre, but we're all about blurring lines and removing labels, right?

What I'm wondering though, is how dark is dark? For instance, say your main character is completely evil, and it shows because he has no remorse...makes no apology. The story ends with him winning and people dying, and his intentions are pretty clear throughout, but the story itself doesn't have a dark tone. Is it still a dark story?

And of course, anything else you have to say on the topic.

And while we're at it...along the lines of horror, dark, suspense...a question Fadz asked...have you ever written something so dark/horrific/suspense filled that you scared yourself in writing it?

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Genre Discussion: Dark · 08-18-10 2:52pm
by Allyson Lindt
Re: Genre Discussion: Dark · 08-18-10 4:54pm
by LJPC - the tortoise
Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Dark · 08-18-10 7:22pm
by Light
Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Dark · 08-19-10 11:54am
by LJPC - the tortoise
Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Dark · 08-19-10 6:29pm
by Allyson Lindt
Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Dark · 08-20-10 9:52pm
by Free_Rip
Re: Genre Discussion: Dark · 08-18-10 7:12pm
by Light

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Dee.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2124751