SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2163602
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Community · #1282022
Forum for all horror movie fans.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Nov 15, 2010 at 9:31am
The Last House On The Left (2009)
The Last House On The Left 2009 Re-make.

Here is the second exception to the rule.

Growing up, we had all heard of the video "nasties" - films too extreme to watch - which were banned by the Movie Board. Some of these films included The Exorcist; I Spit On Your Grave; Cannibal Holocaust ; and The Last House On The Left. So when a few years ago, the later of these was re-mastered and re-released I purchased my copy. I really should've known better since I was disappointed with both The Exorcist and I Spit On Your Grave when I finally viewed them. But it was Wes Craven and he did bring us Elm Street and Freddy, so...

The acting was atrocious and the soundtrack had me going loopy. Though the basis of the story was sound, I was once again, disappointed.

Then Sky had the re-make showing on it's movie channels and I thought why not(?)

The premise of the story is the same, a group of escaping criminals catch, rape and hold captive a girl and her family. Then things start to go wrong for the bad guys as they are dispatched in a various number of ways.

Apart from the better acting and soundtrack, the most noticeable thing is the gritty realism of the film. Where the original was shot in bright colours, this adds a darker and oppressive atmosphere by muting the colours and introducing shadows (though not to the point of being too dark to watch the action).

The story is the second noticeable change. The differences, such as the scene where the girls get caught are more realistic. Mari goes to pick up her friend Paige. While doing this they meet and start chatting to an amicable boy of their own age, Justin. He shares his "smoke" with them, saying there's more back at his uncles motel room. With a few reservations they go along. Once they're high their reservations disappear and they loose the track of time... Enter Justin's uncle and the other escaped convicts. Though even here reality stays on center stage. The bad guys don't attack the girls straight away, they could've got away... I was willing them to get up and walk out. The tension is palpable.

In fact the tension runs throughout the film from that moment on and keeps your attention on the screen, and your bum on the seat (sometimes on the edge).

I would highly recommend this film for a dark winters night, while you cuddle up on the sofa, to both new viewers and lovers of the original film.

Had this been the film shot back in the '70's then I would've understood the Movie Boards decision...

Rating 8/10

Come join me - We ALL Float Down Here.

*Balloon3* PENNYWISE *Balloon3* Stephen *Balloon3*

Second greeting to the contest pages.

"Absolute Horror Flash Fiction Contest"   by Pennywise

"Absolute Monthly Horror Contest"   by Pennywise
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
The Last House On The Left (2009) · 11-15-10 9:31am
by Pennywise

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Pennywise.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2163602