*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2167202
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Community · #1717439
Social forum to offer support and information to at-risk youth & peers seeking information
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Nov 27, 2010 at 7:59am
Re: Re: I can relate...
I took many suicide-related/psychology college classes some time ago when I thought I wanted to be a counselor in that department. I subsequently headed in a different direction, but I think the biggest thing I took from those classes was just how difficult it is to "look at the bright side" when one is contemplating suicide. Death is considered an upgrade; you just want the pain to stop...at any cost! And, it is very difficult to see things from any other perspective. With youth in particular (as difficult as it seems) they sometimes have a hard time comprehending the "permanence" of suicide and that changing your mind after the fact may not be an option depending on the method selected.

In retrospect, I was very, very lucky, but at the time, it was impossible for me to see the better days ahead...

The problem with inner pain is that it can be so easy to mask - out of fear, shame, stigma (you're weak, you know), you name it - which only makes you hurt worse, and it can quickly become a runaway train...

Again, thank you. This has done me some good just having had the chance to share...

Indelibleink Laughing Guy

Reviewers are much like spouses: Each spends a disproportionate amount of time pointing out your shortcomings... usually with the same net impact!- Indelibleink, May 2010

Hey! Yes, YOU! Check out recent creations:
STATIC
The Dominant Gene  (18+)
Could a father's worst nightmare get any worse? Hell yes. Midsummer Night's Scream Oct '10
#1716680 by Indelible Ink

STATIC
Still Born  (18+)
Do you believe in fortune cookies? Lisa Williams didn't either. Until...
#1716911 by Indelible Ink

STATIC
Perfect Match (formerly 'Gift Exchange')  (18+)
The ends always justify the means...right? PostSecret Contest Round 2 Oct'10
#1717444 by Indelible Ink

STATIC
Mirror Image  (18+)
They say that the apple never falls too far from the tree...CSFS Contest Oct'10
#1718979 by Indelible Ink
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1720547 by Not Available.

STATIC
Bad Day at Black Wall  (18+)
Spencer Tire-acy searches for one known as "Yokohama." Short Shots 2nd Place Oct'10
#1718338 by Indelible Ink

STATIC
Double Indemnity  (18+)
Complete paralysis was no life for Lamont Williams. Then, suddenly, there was hope...
#1720933 by Indelible Ink

STATIC
Aghast of Honor  (18+)
Eddie Billings had correctly identified each guest at his Halloween costume party. Almost.
#1722549 by Indelible Ink

STATIC
A Question of Priorities  (18+)
Sometimes it simply boils down to a matter of perspective...
#1724532 by Indelible Ink

Signature created by our dear talented friend, Kelly1202

Thanks to Just an Ordinary Boo!

** Image ID #1694506 Unavailable **

** Image ID #1720510 Unavailable ** Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.
MESSAGE THREAD
I can relate... · 11-26-10 3:54pm
by Indelible Ink
Re: I can relate... · 11-26-10 9:34pm
by Brooklyn
*Star* Re: Re: I can relate... · 11-27-10 7:59am
by Indelible Ink
Re: Re: Re: I can relate... · 11-29-10 10:10am
by Brooklyn

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Brooklyn.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2167202