SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2216957
Rated: E · Message Forum · Inspirational · #1127078
A place to mingle and meet friends.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 24, 2011 at 12:16pm
Dilemma critiquing "LDS fiction"
Earlier this year, I joined a brand new local writers group. There's about seven of us. One of the members just posted the prologue of his novel JACOB'S LADDER. He said that he writes LDS fiction, but is not LDS himself. He takes his experience from an ex-wife who was a member.

I think I'm the only LDS member in the group. His prologue makes me very uncomfortable. Humanizing God, having Him question his decisions, setting up this new character Jacob to be even more important than Jesus and Joseph Smith. It's not true LDS fiction, as it's not true to LDS beliefs.

How do I handle this? Do I skip on commenting? Send him a private message? Wait and discuss all this when we discuss his story at our next meeting? No one in the group knows yet that I am LDS. I don't mind people knowing, but I don't want to bring it up as an argument...

I'm tempted to opt out of commenting on this one, but at the same time I'm technically his target audience and the one in the group with the most know-how to actually critique it. So torn! Our meeting is next Wednesday. Any opinions on the dilemma are welcome.

Feywriter
aka Emerald Enchantress
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Dilemma critiquing "LDS fiction" · 03-24-11 12:16pm
by Feywriter
Re: Dilemma critiquing "LDS fiction" · 03-24-11 2:01pm
by Duchess Laughing Lemurs
Re: Dilemma critiquing "LDS fiction" · 03-24-11 3:14pm
by Sarah Rae
Re: Dilemma critiquing "LDS fiction" · 03-24-11 3:23pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Dilemma critiquing "LDS fiction" · 03-24-11 5:00pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Dilemma critiquing "LDS fiction" · 03-24-11 6:14pm
by Feywriter

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Aerix~ The Storm Dragon.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2216957