*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2406598
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(103)
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Contest · #994771
Do you have 15 minutes? Come in and join this contest!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 19, 2012 at 1:53am
June 18 - Legs
by Sk3tchi
It was as if they had been digging for a week, which wasn't far from the truth. It was a three and a half thus far, but still the team was exhausted. Having only the option to rest every fifty feet or so and only several hours of sleep, it was needless to say they were wiped out. Still, the persistent team leader pushed on.

"The ground is getting softer here. We're much closer to the surface! Don't give in yet."

The motivation was lost on the group. They plopped down where they stood and tossed aside their bone tools.

"Why the hell are we doing this? What is above that home could not offer?" Robert, the youngest argued. Though younger than the rest the diggers shared his sentiments.

"We are not tunnel rats. We are humans. Life underground is not part of our design--"

"What is our design then? We've survived this long down here. Some reason our elders came down below so many years ago.," the veteran interrupted. He wasn't thirty yet, but he was still considered old. No one lasted long down below.

"Who's to say its there anymore?" The leader argued.

"And who's to say its not?" Robert cut in.

The leader smeared his muddy hands on his face, "If you all want to go, fine. But I'm pressing on. Didn't get this far to turn back now. Missy, you going with?"

I didn't hear him. My ear was pressed to the earth. It sounded as if it was moving.

"Missy?"

"Shh!" I waved him to silence.

The vet scoffed. "Weird one she is."

It was moving. I felt a tickling at my cheek and backed up just in time. The soil was indeed soft and easily broke apart as a wriggly force cascaded out. The mass poured free of the breach and covered our feet, stopping just below our knees.

"Crawlers! Cover any openings! They'll crawl inside and eat you alive!" The leader yelled in vain. Panic was already compelling the dig crew, myself included, to retreat. Robert tripped into the mess and the crawlers descended upon him without a second to waste. I could feel them gripping and biting me, slowing my steps.

It was as if poison entered me. My head grew heavy and my thoughts became sluggish. Shortly after the squirming mass seemed mighty comfortable. I tried to trudge on, but either I was sinking or they were rising. My limbs numbed. I tried to focus my mind and count the legs, but I had never counted above twenty before. Funny, that was just hold I was.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
June 18 - Legs · 06-19-12 1:53am
by Sk3tchi

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Legerdemain.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2406598