*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2406643
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(103)
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Contest · #994771
Do you have 15 minutes? Come in and join this contest!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 19, 2012 at 6:57am
June 18 - Legs
by Witchjy
“Hup, one, two, three, four. Hup, two, three, four” The instructor barked at us. We had been marching for hours, still he wouldn’t let up stop. If someone missed a beat, they had to run around the oval. Carrying heavy weights, if they faltered, they had privileges removed. I did not want that to be me. I had watched this happen repeatedly and was praying I could hold it together.

“Hup, two, three, four. Move those lazy butts! You damn sissies could march you way out of a paper bag. I wished he would just shut up. Shut up an let us rest. This was supposed to make us stronger though. All it seemed to be doing was pissing people off. I wanted to think of other things, but anyone who did that quickly lost the beat and were punished. I couldn’t afford that, I had my birthday coming up and I knew he would make me miss out if I mucked up.

“Hup, two, three, four. Keep those matchstick legs going. I’ve seen better marching from Girl Guides.” I wondered what was going through his head. Did he enjoy doing this to us? Don’t lose concentration, it’s not worth it. Count it off in you head and keep each step perfectly in time. One false move and it was all over.

“Hup, two, three, four. Hup, two, three, four.” Zone out what he is saying, and don’t pay attention to it. Just keep those legs moving. Moving in time, just like a millipede. I laugh inside myself, when I think of what we must look like. Each of us perfectly in time, until someone falters.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
June 18 - Legs · 06-19-12 6:57am
by Witchjy

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Legerdemain.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2406643