Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2610052
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Experience · #1426495
What are you reading?
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Dec 18, 2013 at 1:00pm
Re: John Saul
by Cinn
I've read every book Saul has ever written and own the vast majority of them. I'm not exaggerating... I've been collecting his books for over 5 years, and if I'm not mistaken, I have all but 4 (including one I lent and never got back). He's something of a hack really... the writing is adequate rather than amazing, and he falls into the same phrasing over and over and over. For instance, in almost all of his books, someone wants to run but feels like their legs are "mired in mud". The tree branches often "claw at the leaden sky" too. Many elements are the same for a bunch of books too: the 100 year old curse, the mean old lady, some of the family dynamics, prologues used in the same way. I happen to like the elements generally. I don't suppose that most people would notice-- I've just read each novel so many times that its hard not to notice.

The stories are soooo much fun though! Saul can really tell a story! He's one of my go-to authors when I just want a fast-paced, enjoyable read that requires zero thought. Unfortunately, I've read them all so many times that the thrill is just about gone. I'm actually rereading Midnight Voices right now. It's not one of my favorites, but that means I've not read it over and over like many of the others.

What's your favorite, by the way? Mine is probably The Unloved. Creepy imagery, great dysfunctional family, memorable characters... Love it. It also has a few of those often reused elements... the mean old lady, the abuse in the prologue, etc. *Wink*
MESSAGE THREAD
John Saul · 11-26-13 7:32pm
by Angus
*Star* Re: John Saul · 12-18-13 1:00pm
by Cinn
Re: Re: John Saul · 12-20-13 12:55pm
by CDouglasB
Re: Re: Re: John Saul · 12-20-13 1:15pm
by Cinn
Re: Re: Re: Re: John Saul · 12-20-13 1:25pm
by CDouglasB
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: John Saul · 12-20-13 2:38pm
by Cinn

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, § Forsaken §.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2610052