Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Experience · #1426495
What are you reading?
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Dec 20, 2013 at 1:15pm
Edited: December 20, 2013 at 1:17pm
Re: Re: Re: John Saul
by Cinn
Black Lightning was worth reading once, but it isn't one of his novels that has much re-readability. I've tried to reread it a few times and get bored after a few chapters. Of course, that isn't a problem for anyone who doesn't read them obsessively like I have for years. hehe

If you like that one, you may like his other novels published around the same time... Guardian (cute "update" of an old type of story... don't wanna give it away) and Shadows (fairly unique for him... only has a couple that are similar) are both quite good. The only one from the 90's that was rather boring is The Homing... I'd only recommend that one to huge fans. All of the others are decent reads though. My favorites from the 90s are probably Shadows and The Right Hand of Evil. The Blackstone Chronicles are cute too and super fast little reads if you get them in serial form... definitely should read Suffer the Children before reading the chronicles though, as the first in the series is about the main character from Suffer the Children.

In general though, I'm a much bigger fan of the 70's and 80's novels. If you like the supernatural elements in Black Lightning, I'd definitely start with the older books. I might actually suggest starting with his first (Suffer the Children-- fantastic and a perfect example of what he does best) and reading chronologically if you really want to read them all anyway. Picking and choosing from the later novels could definitely make someone stop reading in a hurry... after 2000 is especially questionable. They get extremely hit or miss... startlingly so!
MESSAGE THREAD
John Saul · 11-26-13 7:32pm
by Angus
Re: John Saul · 12-18-13 1:00pm
by Cinn
Re: Re: John Saul · 12-20-13 12:55pm
by CDouglasB
*Star* Re: Re: Re: John Saul · 12-20-13 1:15pm
by Cinn
Re: Re: Re: Re: John Saul · 12-20-13 1:25pm
by CDouglasB
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: John Saul · 12-20-13 2:38pm
by Cinn

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, § Forsaken §.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2610764