*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2808042
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Message Forum · Other · #2016379
Discuss all things relating to writing and genre.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Apr 1, 2015 at 8:15am
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Resources for improving our writi...
by KMH
"Be careful though. Many people are very thin skinned and others are cranky." -- LSO

Ha! SO true, LSO! I've run across a few of these sorts myself. It seems there are a lot of folks here who claim to want their work reviewed...but only if the review is full of inflated praise that may or may not be true. It's one of the reasons I've quit reviewing. Frankly, if I wanted someone to be angry with me, I'd do it intentionally. I believe in honest, constructive criticism. The other sort of review is quite useless and possibly even a hinderance to an author who will be lead to believe that their work is perfect but then will be shocked when it is rejected over and over by magazines and publishers.

So I say, if you want to write a review, if you don't feel like you can be honest with your thoughts here, do your reviews on Amazon or your own blog if you have one. Professional authors know that their work is going to be picked apart---it's all part of being a professional. If you genuinely liked the work and feel the need to say so, do it in a place readers will see it. The author will love you for it. If there were parts of the book you thought might be improved, it's totally fine to say that as well so long as you avoid "spoilers." Just be professional. Heck, you could even gain yourself something of a reputation as a book reviewer (which could lead to advance copies from authors who are looking for something to put on the cover of their upcoming release). Even reading the posts of professional reviewers is a good idea---will get your mind thinking critically. Certainly can't hurt.

Oh, and the review tool on WdC sucks big time.

Anyway, I'm just spouting my thoughts again all unrequested-like. Point is, reading and writing, definitely good. Review in a place in which you are free to be honest. Just remember your manners and you're all good. As with many things in life, to get better at a thing, you must practise.

Come check out my writing website here: http://katmhawthorne.com, or my editing website here: http://www.movetothewrite.com
MESSAGE THREAD
Resources for improving our writing skills · 03-10-15 3:34pm
by Tobber
Re: Resources for improving our writing skills · 03-10-15 4:35pm
by Eliot Wild
Re: Re: Resources for improving our writing skills · 03-10-15 5:13pm
by Matt Bird MSci (Hons) AMRSC
Re: Re: Resources for improving our writing skills · 03-10-15 5:21pm
by Tobber
Re: Re: Re: Resources for improving our writing skills · 03-10-15 6:42pm
by A E Willcox
Re: Resources for improving our writing skills · 03-26-15 8:17pm
by KMH
Re: Re: Resources for improving our writing skills · 03-27-15 3:43am
by Tobber
Re: Re: Re: Resources for improving our writing skills · 03-27-15 8:32am
by KMH
Re: Re: Re: Re: Resources for improving our writing skills · 03-27-15 9:22am
by Tobber
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Resources for improving our writing s... · 04-01-15 1:45am
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Resources for improving our writi... · 04-01-15 4:24am
by Tobber
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Resources for improving our writing s... · 04-01-15 6:27am
by L. Stephen O'Neill
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Resources for improving our writi... · 04-01-15 8:15am
by KMH
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Resources for improving our w... · 04-01-15 5:23pm
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Resources for improving o... · 05-12-15 12:28am
by Elfin Dragon-finally published

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, David the Dark one!.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2808042