*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2812177
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Message Forum · Other · #2016379
Discuss all things relating to writing and genre.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Apr 10, 2015 at 10:53pm
Re: Re: Re: Eight Days of Silence? Oh My...
Mr. Wild,

My familiarity with Bujold is a bit backward I fear. I think she first came to prominence with her Vorkosikan series, but I first read/listened to "The Curse of Chalion" more of a historical/fantasy where the window dressing is clearly set in an inverted Iberian Penisula but its tie to medieval Europe's window dressing is belied by the fantastical element of the religion and the effects of the curse. The fantasy element is central to the plot... despite this description I have to say that after reading it I came to the conclusion that Bujold is "relentlessly entertaining."

See if you don't think so.

Then I read a stand-alone book in the Vorkosikan series centered around a minor side character. It has skewed my whole view of the series and I have some loyalty to the world I came to through Captain Vorpatril. Captain Vorpatril's Alliance, I should point out that Bujold intends to write stand alone books (cheering) This is a bias I hold and she does a great job.

Now I'm read/listening to an actual four book series called the Sharing Knife. This might be a bit too romancy for some, it's like Little House on the Prairie meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer only in all the best possible ways. No, really. Again, relentlessly entertaining in a way that I haven't felt since 12-year-old me reading Edgar Rice Burroughs under the blankets with a flashlight.

If my praise seems a bit over-the-top I might plead guilty, but I've got her 6 Hugo and Nebula awards to wave at you so if you don't like her it might be you, not me.

Warm regards and well wishes. Happy reading.

LSO
MESSAGE THREAD
Eight Days of Silence? Oh My... · 04-09-15 12:07pm
by Eliot Wild
Re: Eight Days of Silence? Oh My... · 04-10-15 2:27am
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Eight Days of Silence? Oh My... · 04-10-15 10:37am
by Eliot Wild
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Eight Days of Silence? Oh My... · 04-10-15 10:53pm
by L. Stephen O'Neill

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, David the Dark one!.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2812177