*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2887132
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 5, 2015 at 3:26pm
Re: Character Traits
by A Non-Existent User
For me, most of the conflict in my stories are created by the characters, so their characters develop, flaws and all, as I plot out the story itself.
For example, my villain in last year's NaNo was my Male Main Character #1's partner. He got killed because a summoning went wrong and MMC1 ran off at the first sign of trouble leaving my villain to die. So just by figuring out why my villain is out to get my main characters, I learned that MMC1 is untrustworthy, easily panicked, and puts self preservation above altruism. The rest of my characters develop that way too. Conflict is needed, so I often make my characters do things to get themselves into trouble (as opposed to trouble finding them regardless of their actions, which still happens but them causing their own misfortune is so much more fun), and that helps me give my characters realistic flaws that have actual consequences in the context of the story.
Now, I'll always start off with a general idea of the character's personality. I'll sit down and write out their past and how it made them who they are, so I already knew MMC1 was going to be selfish, self centered, and self pitying before I started much plotting, but that really helped round out those flaws in a realistic context.
So I guess my advice boils down to: stick your characters into situation, and make them make it worse, or cause it. Maybe even just write a couple of short stories outside of your novel to get a feel for them. If you have to make them get themselves into trouble based on their actions, you'll be forced to come up personality flaws that get them into sticky situations. Also, they'll be flaws that actually MATTER to the character and the story, unlike, say, Bella Swan being so super clumsy but it practically never actually affects her in the story at all, it's just there for the sake of giving her some random flaw.
MESSAGE THREAD
Character Traits · 10-04-15 8:06pm
by Cadie Laine
Re: Character Traits · 10-04-15 8:09pm
by Angela Death
Re: Character Traits · 10-04-15 9:56pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Character Traits · 10-04-15 10:12pm
by ZombeeLuv
Re: Re: Re: Character Traits · 10-05-15 7:14am
by Marci Missing Everyone
Re: Character Traits · 10-04-15 10:25pm
by Eric the Fred
Re: Re: Character Traits · 10-05-15 6:25am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Character Traits · 10-04-15 11:05pm
by Professor Q
*Star* Re: Character Traits · 10-05-15 3:26pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Character Traits · 10-05-15 4:02pm
by Cadie Laine

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2887132