*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3026171
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 5, 2016 at 2:09am
Re: Re: Free write Problems
Free writing can be tricky. You either get too many ideas that don't work, go off topic or just get on brilliantly. I'd always thought that freewriting is a waste of time but I had a new perspective in one of the talks I've attended of a person (a professional storyteller and moviemaker/ artist) who tries to teach the art of storytelling to a bunch of students. The ritual of these artists was to do strokes every morning when they got up, just drawing circles - drawing perfect circles. It's such a boring thing to do but yet, these students filled their sketchbooks with circles... and by and by, they moved on to more complicated things, adding more streaks to their circles, giving them shadows, depth, and all sorts of things and suddenly, they were drawing figures, facial expressions and all that.

That made me think... writing is really just the same thing. Sometimes, all we want to write is that thing that is relevant to our story but it takes a long time to get there. Sometimes, we might need to warm up with prompt writing and all that. My creative writing teacher used to tell us to adopt this ritual of getting up 15 minutes earlier and do nothing but write. I didn't see the point of it then and I tried doing it but I didn't know what came out of it. Now, I see it... when I went to this class and see the visual transition taking place, I understood what my teacher was telling me.

Sorry for being long-winded but my point is, free writing is really like taking a plunge in the sea. You might not know what come out of it. It doesn't seem relevant, you probably hate it... but you do actually get something in return, whether just getting into the zen, feeding your subconscious mind something... something is happening... even though you don't see it. You just need to believe that.

*hide*

Cheers,

Elycia Lee ā˜®

This is my Sig created by Shannon .
MESSAGE THREAD
Free write Problems · 10-04-16 6:03am
by Piratess Dawniebelle
Re: Free write Problems · 10-04-16 7:12am
by QPdoll
Re: Re: Free write Problems · 10-04-16 9:28am
by A.J. Barretts
Re: Re: Re: Free write Problems · 10-04-16 10:09am
by Sharon.NJ
Re: Free write Problems · 10-04-16 10:34am
by Storm Machine
Re: Re: Free write Problems · 10-04-16 10:57am
by Piratess Dawniebelle
Re: Re: Re: Free write Problems · 10-04-16 12:42pm
by Past Member 'alysia'
Re: Re: Re: Re: Free write Problems · 10-04-16 12:56pm
by Dobie Mom
Re: Free write Problems · 10-04-16 3:18pm
by Noyoki
Re: Free write Problems · 10-04-16 8:06pm
by Shanachie
*Star* Re: Re: Free write Problems · 10-05-16 2:09am
by Elycia Lee ā˜®

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3026171