SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3101509
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Experience · #1426495
What are you reading?
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 25, 2017 at 10:46am
Re: S. KIng and R. Chizmar's Gwendy's Button Box
Funny thing is I found this at my library when we first released it and I went to it like a piranha on a fresh-floating limb! Granted I read it in one sitting, I can say I was left... Well not really disappointed because the length says it all... But I will say the 1st half is far and above better than the second half. I loved how the mystery built around Deadman's Stairway... I think that was what it was called... In any case, I came to a disconnect around half way... Plus, it spanned to many years too fast for me to really connect with the protagonist, or be stricken by what has happened to the side characters.

Sadly, this is the 2nd Stephen King novel that has been recently released where I was left lukewarm. The other was Bizarre of Bad Dreams, released last year. I mean it had some great and magical moments, especially the story about the car wreck and the other one about the beach... The story about the son who copes with his father's dementia was also touching, but I remember a good bit of it felt like filler... Nothing at all in the leagues with Night Shift...

Stephen King is still the best at what he does, but sometimes one has to wonder if successful authors like King, Koontz, and Patterson reaches into their old, cobweb filled filing cabinets and pull out first drafts and rejected stories/novels and revamps them. I'm fine with that, really I am, because they deserve their statuses. It would make sense though.
MESSAGE THREAD
S. King and R. Chizmar's Gwendy's Button Box · 06-13-17 4:36pm
by Angus
*Star* Re: S. KIng and R. Chizmar's Gwendy's Button Box · 06-25-17 10:46am
by Dalimer Corwyn

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, § Forsaken §.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3101509