*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3249010
by Seuzz
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Fantasy · #2180090
Message forum for readers of the BoM/TWS interactive universe.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Feb 11, 2019 at 6:48pm
Re: QotW #4: Third-Person Body Swap
There's quite a bit I'd like to see and I could probably just rattle off names and names but I think I'll limit it to a few.

First on the list: Chelsea and Yumi. It's one of those that just seems obvious to me. Maybe because Chelsea and Cindy are the big rivals that's one of those things that feels like it's been explored and re-explored and re-re-explored and otherwise done to death. It's always in the background, we've seen it from Will-as-Cindy, Will-as-Chelsea, Will partnered with Chelsea, etc. But Chelsea and Yumi seems to be one of those things that, if maybe not burning as intensely, is always simmering and ready to boil over. We don't really know (or have never been shown) the source of their mutual antipathy beyond the obvious (Chelsea's bitchiness) or if there is a deeper reason. Yumi's also never really been much of a character herself beyond the occasional impersonation target and the longest branch with that (Chelsea Wins the War) doesn't really explore her in too much depth.

The two are on relatively equal footing in a way yet not at the same time. Yumi seems like she could have Chelsea's position if she really wanted but she either isn't that good at politicking or doesn't want it. Chelsea seems almost too hard to keep down; put her in a lower position and she'll find some way to get benefit out of it. So how would Yumi do if thrust into Chelsea's position at the very top of the social hierarchy but away from all of her friends and support? Would Chelsea be able to effectively take Yumi's potential and essentially boot herself out of that top position? Would their rivalry continue or would they be able to, for whatever reason, come to an understanding with one another? Plus it would give some much needed focus and depth to Yumi as a character I feel.

For something a bit more opposite but not quite dooming the characters from the start would be Jenny Ashton and Jelena Petrovic. Jenny's not the drama and politicking type and being the queen of the underground scene seems like a position that could be ripe for having to play politics, especially without Jelena's mind (and thus her cool demeanor and charisma) to help her. There's also the fact that Jenny's subconsciously put off by lesbians and she'd basically be the Lesbian Queen.

With Jelena she comes off as very self-assured and confident but I suspect a lot of it might be due to the fact she feels like she has a good support network: a sister who she greatly admires and friends who she shares very close bonds with and her little slice of Westside seems fairly stable. So how would she do if you took that away from her while thrusting her closer to the center of one of the most intense sources of drama and backstabbing around?

For a TG choice? Like you I suspect most would be good comedy if nothing else but what would make for an interesting story? For the guy I'd go with Marc Garner and for the girl I'd pick... well that's a hard choice. Stephanie Wyatt seems like a very obvious choice because for Marc's part it'd be the close friend of his sister's and someone with a burning hatred for his girlfriend. He'd be smack dab in the middle of a group that wants to "do something" about Hannah which could be interesting. For Stephanie it's obvious: stuck in the body of the person she's head over heels in love with, forced into a relationship with someone she despises.

For a non-obvious one, I'd switch Marc with Susie Lekuawehe. Susie-as-Marc has the potential to be a disaster but maybe she's some kind of weird savant or through sheer dumb luck makes it worse. The aggressively heterosexual and seemingly Marc having to be the aggressively heterosexual and flighty Susie and how comfortable he is like that and how/if he's able to adjust. It would probably be pure comedy all told.
MESSAGE THREAD
QotW #4: Third-Person Body Swap · 02-11-19 2:28pm
by Seuzz
Re: QotW #4: Third-Person Body Swap · 02-11-19 2:28pm
by Seuzz
Re: QotW #4: Third-Person Body Swap · 02-11-19 4:09pm
by araki
*Star* Re: QotW #4: Third-Person Body Swap · 02-11-19 6:48pm
by rugal b.
Re: QotW #4: Third-Person Body Swap · 02-12-19 5:46am
by TheSkyMarshall
Re: QotW #4: Third-Person Body Swap · 02-15-19 2:56pm
by bori258

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Seuzz.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3249010