*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3296889
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 29, 2019 at 10:11pm
Re: Re: Re: Are we allowed to...
What is it that you need to brainstorm? I read the short summary you provided in your reply to Robert Waltz , and I see some interesting but seemingly disparate ideas:

1. Your protagonist is an abuse survivor diagnosed with DID (this diagnosis is now controversial both legally and medically, and it's also an illness that has been portrayed many times and in many ways in fiction and film. It's a bold choice to tackle it, since its many portrayals will challenge any writer to show it in a new way.)

2. The people close to her are all murdered for a reason I can't discern by the MS-13 gang. She becomes a prosecutor and faces them (is she actually prosecuting them, or is she "facing them" in a different way?) As a reader, I immediately wonder why the gang is targeting her and how it relates to her past. If she is indeed "facing" them, wouldn't it be a pretty big conflict of interest? I wonder if a lawyer whose friends had been (allegedly) murdered by the gang members in question would be allowed to be part of the prosecution team at all.

I have a few questions, to start. You don't have to answer them; they're just for reference.

How likely is it that the same four members would be captured and would face the same judge again? (I am not terribly familiar with the legal system, I'll be honest.)

What drove your protagonist to become an ADA? How does her diagnosis affect her work and daily life, if at all? Are the people around her aware of her diagnosis, and does it affect the way she's treated? How does it tie into the larger plot? What is the larger plot?

What is at stake for your protagonist? Does she have anyone she cares about in her life at the moment who might be at risk?

This strikes me as an adult contemporary legal thriller type of book. It sounds intriguing. I threw out some questions because I know that when I try to answer questions about my own universes, it always helps me make sense of things. If you already know the answers to all of these, then you've probably got this idea in the bag already! If not, I'm sure the many wonderful prompts here at OctoPrep will help things take shape for you!

- -

"Let me live, love and say it well
in good sentences."
- Sylvia Plath

*MushroomB* *Books3**Books5* "Invalid Item *Books5**Books2* *MushroomB*
MESSAGE THREAD
Are we allowed to... · 09-29-19 9:23pm
by Chrys O'Shea
Re: Are we allowed to... · 09-29-19 9:30pm
by Robert Waltz
Re: Re: Are we allowed to... · 09-29-19 9:43pm
by Chrys O'Shea
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Are we allowed to... · 09-29-19 10:11pm
by Roseille ♥
Re: Re: Re: Re: Are we allowed to... · 09-30-19 4:42pm
by Chrys O'Shea
Re: Are we allowed to... · 09-29-19 9:36pm
by Roseille ♥
Re: Re: Are we allowed to... · 09-29-19 9:48pm
by Chrys O'Shea

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Brandiwyn🎶.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3296889