*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3301322
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 19, 2019 at 8:21am
Re: I just made myself happy again...
This is a list of all the various places where your scenes will take place. You might have a global setting like "Montana" as well, but this assignment is asking you to think smaller scale. Imagine your novel is a movie or TV show, and you have to build the sets. What sets would you need?

I've been binge watching Cheers on Netflix. It's the story of the employees and regular patrons at a sports bar in Boston. On a global scale, you might list the setting as "Boston" or "Cheers" (the name of the bar in Boston), but here's a list of the scene settings, as defined by the various sets employed by the TV show:

- The main bar room. Includes a rectangular bar at the center of the room, tables around the room, a TV usually showing sporting events, a staircase up to to the restaurant upstairs, a hallway with restrooms that leads to the pool room, and a door to the office.

- The office, which is the private office of Sam (the owner) or Rebecca (the manager) depending on the season. It consists of a desk, shelves and a file cabinet behind the desk, a safe over the file cabinet, and a couch next to the door leading back out into the main bar.

- The pool room, which is at the back of the bar. It contains a pool table surrounded by chairs against the walls, a giant stained-glass window, and the hallway with restrooms leading out to the main bar area.

There are a variety of sets that were used less frequently, and I won't go into descriptions of those here, but I probably would if these settings were in my novel. At a minimum, for this assignment, I would list them as follows:

- Diane's apartment.
- Carla's house.
- Rebecca's apartment.
- Robin's penthouse apartment.

These minor (infrequently used) settings only ever show one room - usually the main living area with a view of the front door to the residence, so we can see characters arriving at the residence.

Musically
Michelle

Gift from Blue Witch
MESSAGE THREAD
I just made myself happy again... · 10-17-19 11:31pm
by Chrys O'Shea
Re: I just made myself happy again... · 10-18-19 9:54am
by Angelica-HappyFather'sDay!
*Star* Re: I just made myself happy again... · 10-19-19 8:21am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: I just made myself happy again... · 10-21-19 10:45am
by Schnujo's in Chile
Re: Re: Re: I just made myself happy again... · 10-21-19 11:22am
by Shanachie

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3301322