*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3301910
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Community · #2179526
Night owls welcome!! Open 24 hours! Daily activities! Prizes!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 22, 2019 at 11:34pm
Re: Monday and Tuesday!
by Paul

I read Sacre Bleu by Christopher Moore and enjoyed it. I was ready to stop reading around page 60 to 80, but I didn’t and around page 100 it started making sense to me. He starts by asking, “What if Vincent Van Gogh didn’t commit suicide?” “Why would he shoot himself then walk a mile for help?” Then he brings in a lot of the impressionist artists that were his contemporaries. Toulouse-Lautrec-Monfa Is a blast of a character. I recommend it, it’s a twisted comedy.

I just finished Exit West by Mohsin Hamid and loved it from the start. Hamid is a master at description. When the protagonist leaves home the scene with his father was one of the best pieces I’ve ever read. It’s not set in any particular time, but many of the elements could be today, and has a low-key SciFi aspect to it which he doesn’t spend words explaining, it’s just there. I recommend this book too.

I’m reading A Visit From The Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan and it’s one of the most complex reads I’ve seen. It’s very non-linear and reads like you’d recall your life story. Disjointed and skipping from past to present to future and back again. There are many characters with an incredible family/friend/lover interconnection. This is NOT a light read, but I love stories that force me to think and remember. You’re not going to want a lot of interruptions reading this one. I can see why she got the Pulitzer. I recommend this one too, but not if you don’t have several days to a week or so.
MESSAGE THREAD
Monday and Tuesday! · 10-21-19 11:29pm
by IceSkatingSugarCube
Re: Monday and Tuesday! · 10-22-19 1:58pm
by amy-Has a great future ahead
*Star* Re: Monday and Tuesday! · 10-22-19 11:34pm
by Paul

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, IceSkatingSugarCube.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3301910