*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3456583
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 11, 2021 at 6:44pm
Re: Re: "What ifs" for a Mystery Novel
I'm just getting around to reading forum posts. *Blush* But I found that if I started with a question I needed answered for the story, which seems to be what you are doing, that got me some great results.

I needed to know why the neighbor hated the farmer and didn't care when he suspected the farmer might not be alive. Oh, what if the farmer slept with the neighbors wife? Yep. That would do it. *Bigsmile*

I do sometimes find interesting things with just general what if's about the story, but I'm most pleased with the results when I start with a specific question I need answered. I write all the possibilities, even stupid ones. The farmer was abducted by aliens and trained to hate the neighbor. You never know where even dumb ideas lead. Granted, that one doesn't lead to anything (yet), but still, you never know. *Wink*

And be sure to check out my challenge

FORUM
The Contest Challenge  (13+)
Join by entering a contest a month for 12 months--Win Badges! Catching up is allowed!
#2109126 by Schnujo's in Chile

and my contest

FORUM
The Whatever Contest -- Closed for Now  (13+)
This irregular contest will change each round. Nature poem? Horror story? Whatever.
#2232242 by Schnujo's in Chile

Reviewed by U.S. Army Ret. Schnujo at the Witch's House
MESSAGE THREAD
"What ifs" for a Mystery Novel · 09-30-21 6:39pm
by Anders J. Miller
Re: "What ifs" for a Mystery Novel · 10-01-21 1:00pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
*Star* Re: Re: "What ifs" for a Mystery Novel · 10-11-21 6:44pm
by Schnujo's in Chile
Re: "What ifs" for a Mystery Novel · 10-11-21 8:29pm
by Past Member 'stolenthrones'

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3456583