*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3459329
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 24, 2021 at 6:05pm
Edited: October 24, 2021 at 6:06pm
Literary Device Questions
Yes, I'm working on the literary devices. *Blush* Stop laughing and help me! *Pthb*

Anyway, does Chekhov's Gun have to be something that solves the conflict? Or can it be something from the beginning that simply comes up in the end? I was thinking that my character, Cleat, didn't graduate from high school so in the beginning, the neighbor sees him studying an old GED book from someone's shelf and makes fun of him. In the end, the neighbor sees him with the GED book again and takes it away, handing him a new one and tell him that they change the test from time to time, so it's good to have the latest study materials. Is that an example of Chekhov's Gun?

Also, for an Epiphany, does it have to be a real one? My 2 farmhands "realize" the miniature donkey in the farmer's bed is the farmer reincarnated and begin to use ask the donkey questions about how to run the farm. It's more a false epiphany because it's really a prank the neighbor was playing on the farmer, not knowing the farmer was dead. Is that example an epiphany or is a false epiphany a literary device? *Bigsmile*

Can a Repetitive Designation have to be a person or object? I was going to have noodle incidents mentioned throughout the story. Noodle incidents are things that are mentioned, but never fully explained and leave the reader curious about what that referred to. An example I was thinking of using was, "How was I supposed to know llamas can't read?" Cleat says this as he's exiting the house, talking to Billy Joe and the neighbor overhears, but has no idea what he's talking about...and we never find out. Or, at least that's how I understand noodle incidents. Though I think they more commonly directly point to something in the past such as, "Remember that time with the tire pressure gauge in Walmart? I think this is the same situation." The reader wants to know what happened with the tire pressure gauge in Walmart, but never finds out. Anyway, can different noodle incidents be repetitive designations?

Allusions--is this an example of an allusion? Cleat never graduated from high school and the neighbor says, "A high school dropout doesn't make a good farmer. Why do you think Farmer Pete went back and got his GED? A farmer's gotta be able to finish what he starts." Is that alluding to Cleat not being a good farmer, but that he will be a better one if he gets his GED?

I swear I thought I had a better handle on literary devices than I apparently do! *FacePalm*

And be sure to check out my challenge

FORUM
The Contest Challenge  (13+)
Join by entering a contest a month for 12 months--Win Badges! Catching up is allowed!
#2109126 by Schnujo is Late to Lannister

and my contest

FORUM
The Whatever Contest -- Closed for Now  (13+)
This irregular contest will change each round. Nature poem? Horror story? Whatever.
#2232242 by Schnujo is Late to Lannister

Reviewed by U.S. Army Ret. Schnujo at the Witch's House
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Literary Device Questions · 10-24-21 6:05pm
by Schnujo is Late to Lannister
Re: Literary Device Questions · 10-24-21 6:23pm
by Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness
Re: Re: Literary Device Questions · 10-24-21 7:22pm
by QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham
Re: Re: Re: Literary Device Questions · 10-24-21 10:14pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Literary Device Questions · 10-24-21 10:27pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Literary Device Questions · 10-24-21 11:27pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Literary Device Questions · 10-24-21 11:57pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Literary Device Questions · 10-25-21 12:01am
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Literary Device Questions · 10-25-21 12:54am
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Literary Device Quest... · 10-25-21 12:57am
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Literary Device Questions · 10-25-21 10:22am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Literary Device Questions · 10-25-21 11:56pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Literary Device Questions · 10-26-21 11:17am
by Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Literary Device Questions · 10-26-21 9:01pm
Re: Re: Re: Literary Device Questions · 10-24-21 10:19pm
Re: Literary Device Questions · 10-25-21 9:09am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Literary Device Questions · 10-25-21 9:33am
Re: Re: Re: Literary Device Questions · 10-25-21 10:13am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Re: Literary Device Questions · 10-26-21 6:49am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Re: Re: Literary Device Questions · 10-26-21 10:55am

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3459329