*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3475175
Rated: E · Message Forum · Activity · #2261482
Where all you have to do is read books to receive awesome prizes.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 14, 2022 at 5:29am
Re: Horror / October Book 1
Thanks for a fab review. I read this book last year, and, I've got to say, I agree with your summary of it. I found myself quite bored and longing for the end. I'm glad I read it because it's a classic, but I didn't enjoy it. It's interesting you pick up on the long sentences. This is part of what I wrote in my product review of this book:
"In terms of the author’s style, I had to keep reminding myself it was published over 130 years ago. Styles were completely different then. Even so, I found it hard to read the run-on sentences and abundance of semicolons. Also, the way that the narrator is not Dr Jekyll or Mr Hyde, but a solicitor, Mr Utterson, who knew both men, bugs me. This immediately removes the reader from the story. It removes them from the action. It removes them from the danger. And it irritated me big time. I found it hard to get into this, and the only saving grace is how short it is.

So, all in all, I think I probably should have read a Stephen King. Maybe, I will in future weeks. But I won’t be returning to this again, and not because of the horror genre, but because of the author’s style. It is really not my bag."

Purple Choconut sig. made by Minja, gifted by Leah.
Logo for Writing.Com Moderators - small.
MESSAGE THREAD
Horror / October Book 1 · 01-13-22 8:37am
by Olivia's on Hi-Carb 2313608
*Star* Re: Horror / October Book 1 · 01-14-22 5:29am
by Choconut ~ House Targaryen
Re: Re: Horror / October Book 1 · 01-14-22 5:55am
by Olivia's on Hi-Carb 2313608
Re: Re: Re: Horror / October Book 1 · 01-14-22 6:04am
by Choconut ~ House Targaryen

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Choconut ~ House Targaryen.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3475175