*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3521788
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #2274535
30 exercises to help you outline the setting for your novel
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 21, 2022 at 5:58pm
Thoughts/Advice? re: a world without war?
So here's my (possibly very naive) question about worldbuilding: Do isolated civilizations need a military force?

Background, I'll try to be brief, though that's not my strong-point: This story takes place on a single large continent (think China surrounded by ocean with a small (inhabited) archipelago to the east).
Both civilizations are either very early in their growth, or are rebuilding after a long ago or forgotten disaster. They share a language for trading purposes but travel between the two "nations" is rare. The islanders may visit the mainland four times a year for the traditional major market days.
No one knows whether there are others elsewhere on the planet; if there are, they're likely too far away to be a concern because there's no record/memory of anyone else...

Do I need to have some kind of military training for at least some of the people? These are villages that take their issues to the elders for resolution. They don't have tech much beyond granaries and ... I think I'm trying to make them too simple and not, at the same time. I probably at least need some local enforcers for the larger villages, yeah? (Why'd I decide to do a long ago prequel again? *Frown* )

Any advice would be welcome!

Sweet signature gifted to me by GeminiGem    Sig for WDC Power Reviewers to share
Happy Birthday - 1
     “Judge tenderly, if you must. There is usually a side
     you have not heard, a story you know nothing about,
     and a battle waged that you do not have to fight.”
     ~Traci Lea Larussa
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Thoughts/Advice? re: a world without war? · 09-21-22 5:58pm
by buddhangela's Wounded Not Dead
Re: Thoughts/Advice? re: a world without war? · 09-23-22 3:36am
by Kell Willsen
Re: Re: Thoughts/Advice? re: a world without war? · 09-23-22 9:59am
by buddhangela's Wounded Not Dead

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Tileira.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3521788