*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3524094
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 2, 2022 at 2:12pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Donation Headed Your Way
Officially, I said it was "basically a cult." ;- It was just super controlling--she couldn't be alone with a guy, even to study or whatever (she was a student). She was "encouraged" to move into their housing and room with their people. She didn't get along the best with her initial roommate and didn't want to live with her. They accommodated her by letting her have different church members as roommates, but they didn't want her not living in their facility or not having church members as roommates...or having non-church members as roommates.

Anytime she had questions about their teachings, she was given a good talking to about spreading ideas against God or not being a true believer or whatever. She initially thought she was only expected to attend service twice a week, but there were activities like 4-5 days a week and there was no missing them. She repeatedly called me crying because we had a paper or a test the next day and they were making her attend some function when she needed to be studying. If she wanted to miss something, including the days they went out to spread the word, she was told she wasn't a good person or didn't love God enough or whatever.

I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting because she was told to cut communication with me (and pretty much everyone else outside the church) and told to change her phone number so no guys or non-members could contact her. I'm not sure if she wrote down my number or what, but she does have a new phone number now, but has finally been able to get out of that situation and reached out to me again. It might not be a full-blown cult because they did let her leave (after a couple of months of her expressing that she wanted to and then a week or so of her insisting), but I've been a member of quite a few denominations in quite a few parts of the world and though some were more fervent than others, none were like that. *Scared*

And be sure to check out my challenge

FORUM
The Contest Challenge  (13+)
Join by entering a contest a month for 12 months--Win Badges! Catching up is allowed!
#2109126 by Schnujo is Late to Lannister

and my contest

FORUM
The Whatever Contest -- Closed for Now  (13+)
This irregular contest will change each round. Nature poem? Horror story? Whatever.
#2232242 by Schnujo is Late to Lannister

Amanda created this sig based on a quote from me.
MESSAGE THREAD
Donation Headed Your Way · 08-31-22 4:38pm
by Past Member 'daninidaho'
Re: Donation Headed Your Way · 10-02-22 1:18pm
by Schnujo is Late to Lannister
Re: Re: Donation Headed Your Way · 10-02-22 1:31pm
Re: Re: Re: Donation Headed Your Way · 10-02-22 1:35pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Donation Headed Your Way · 10-02-22 1:56pm
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Donation Headed Your Way · 10-02-22 2:12pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Donation Headed Your Way · 10-02-22 2:52pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Donation Headed Your Way · 10-02-22 3:13pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Donation Headed Your Way · 10-02-22 3:31pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Donation Headed Your Way · 10-02-22 3:38pm
by QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Donation Headed Your Way · 10-02-22 4:03pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Donation Headed Your Way · 10-02-22 4:53pm
by QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3524094