*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3524245
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 3, 2022 at 1:21am
Re: Re: Re: Grammar anyone?
You're lucky I'm willing to help you with that clown staring at me! *Clown* *Laugh* Or maybe I'm feeling obligated to help BECAUSE he's staring at me. *Laugh*

Anyway, so I only have a couple of tips. Write like you speak, but also, don't be too heavy on the accents and such so that it's too hard to read. But one thing about making it sound natural is not always using full and complete sentences. *Shock2* Yep, horrible! The grammar lady at the grammar table would disapprove, I'm sure. *Laugh* But seriously, we very often don't talk in complete sentences. Stop and listen to folks. REALLY pay attention. So, for example, this might be an exchange at a restaurant.

"I'm Nancy and I'll be your server tonight. What'll ya have?" (Some might debate that it should say "you," but I think it depends on how important an accent is, how much of it there will be, etc.)

"Number 4, please, extra mustard, no onions."

"Fries?"

"Sure."

Comin' right up." (Again, that apostrophe is debatable.)

See how they aren't exactly speaking in full sentences? But I think people often create full sentences where they wouldn't naturally appear. I do it all the time. *Think* *FacePalm* But there is a fine line. You don't want to slow readers down with a bunch of accent stuff, but you also don't want everyone speaking in fully complete, grammatically accurate sentences because no one REALLY speaks like that. *Laugh* Like QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham said, try it out loud. That can often help. And definitely start paying attention to what other folks are saying and HOW they're saying it. *Wink*

And be sure to check out my challenge

FORUM
The Contest Challenge  (13+)
Join by entering a contest a month for 12 months--Win Badges! Catching up is allowed!
#2109126 by Schnujo's in Chile

and my contest

FORUM
The Whatever Contest -- Closed for Now  (13+)
This irregular contest will change each round. Nature poem? Horror story? Whatever.
#2232242 by Schnujo's in Chile

Amanda created this sig based on a quote from me.
MESSAGE THREAD
Grammar anyone? · 10-02-22 8:50pm
by QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham
Re: Grammar anyone? · 10-02-22 8:53pm
by azrael2915
Re: Re: Grammar anyone? · 10-02-22 8:56pm
by azrael2915
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Grammar anyone? · 10-03-22 1:21am
by Schnujo's in Chile
Re: Re: Re: Re: Grammar anyone? · 10-03-22 3:58am
by dogpack:saving 4 premium: DWG
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Grammar anyone? · 10-03-22 1:13pm
by buddhangela
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Grammar anyone? · 10-03-22 1:41pm
by Schnujo's in Chile
Re: Re: Grammar anyone? · 10-02-22 9:00pm
Re: Re: Re: Grammar anyone? · 10-03-22 1:01am
by Schnujo's in Chile
Re: Re: Re: Re: Grammar anyone? · 10-03-22 1:27pm

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3524245