*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3578451
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(672)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #126963
A warm welcome to our newbies; come meet new and not-so-new members of Writing.Com!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Aug 15, 2023 at 7:46am
Re: Newbie :)
by Dave
Welcome to the realm of inspiration, but...

B E W A R E !

*Angry* *Smirk* *Angry* *Smirk* *Angry*

There are hundreds of demons out there determined to thwart your creative spirit and dash your hopes of becoming a competent writer.

Many of those gremlins come from preconceived notions about what it means to be a writer. Those beliefs have been pounded into our sense of value over the years by our families, our religion, and our culture. I’m sure you have heard many of them. Here are but a few:

*Note* Writers are born with their talent, and you don’t have it.

*Note* Writers are egocentric loners.

*Note* Writers are irresponsible dawdlers.

*Note* Writers are a bunch of drunks and addicts. *Shock*

*Note* Artistic writing is witchcraft.

Obviously, these are all merely beliefs, not facts. The antidote for this kind of poison is positive thinking. Whenever one of those ugly demons raises its head, dig deep into your soul for some ammunition and shoot it down with a strong, positive affirmation of faith:

*Note1* I deserve a rewarding creative life.

*Note1* I am allowed and willing to nurture my creativity.

*Note1* I am a brilliant, talented writer.

*Note1* My creativity will flourish through the use of a few simple tools.

*Note1* I want to experience my creative energy.

Create as many of these positive declarations as you need to confront your demons and release the bonds that hold your creativity captive.

Every writer goes through a period of anxious tension, just like a performer preparing to go on stage. Thoughts about that vast unseen audience of readers bring doubts about your competence and worthiness.

*Shock*

In today’s world of instant gratification, too many of us judge our work against that of the masters and become discouraged when it doesn’t meet that standard. Learning to create is much like learning to walk. First, you crawl. Then, you take a few baby steps and fall. As you persevere through the stumbling stage, your steps become steadier. If you are earnest about learning to write, you will recognize that mistakes are a necessary part of the process. Give yourself permission to be a beginner and judge your work against a standard of progress instead of perfection. With more experience, you will get a truer perspective by which to gauge your work. Writing skills come to us NOT from some divine stroke of lightning, but from determination, study, and practice....and then more practice.

The Pac Man monster that gobbles up all the time in your day is another goblin which must be confronted. We each have different requirements in our lives that present obstacles to our writing endeavors. Since each day is limited to only 24 hours and can’t be extended, you’ll have to examine the demands on your time to determine where some accommodation can be made and learn to capture every spare moment. I never go to an appointment with a doctor without bringing a notebook so I can make the most of the time in the waiting room.

The kind of relationship you have with the writing process will depend on the attention you pay to it and the commitment you make. If you are diligent and keep your dates with your pad and pen religiously, that relationship could easily blossom into a passionate love affair. If not, it will be just a fleeting flirtation.

Let the creativity flow from your soul! *Cool*
Dave
"The Poet's Place
"CLOSED - Review a Newbie
MESSAGE THREAD
Newbie :) · 08-14-23 8:01pm
by Redfox23
*Star* Re: Newbie :) · 08-15-23 7:46am
by Dave
Re: Newbie :) · 09-02-23 6:00am
by Lilli 🧿 ☕
Re: Newbie :) · 09-02-23 6:27am
by intuey

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, The StoryMistress.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3578451