*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3585854
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Activity · #2256964
Grand prize of 1 million GPs! Tickets purchased by posting reviews instead of GPs!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 12, 2023 at 8:00am
Re: Re: 13 Reviews 13 tix
Thank you for your long and thoughtful reply.

My suggestions are cloaked politely; I’m not blunt, as I tell people I am not the authority on their own work.

Just looking at first review, I suggested it looked like a farce (a hint to reconsider language), that the wife comes off looking bad, that he was an enabler (subtly), that she would never have stayed in tub so long he could get through 15 chapters of War And Peace (unless he was attempting a humorous comparative), that he needed to include his kids and family to intone theme (treated as throwaways). Get a bigger water heater.

Also, as farce, unintended humor gently suggests he exaggerated. The part about telling someone you love them every day, referenced song ‘more than words’ to demonstrate love. My other sage advice is to communicate the things he does. It’s unfair that she doesn’t know she takes advantage of him. These point out flaws in his message that maybe he could avoid in his storytelling…quite frankly, came close to telling him whole premise and approach to subject was wrong. But, he put so much effort into it, auto-rewarded, I feel he wants to know this type of response.

When I point out things I see, they offer flaws that an author doesn’t need to be told to correct. It’s a given. That is how i avoid telling someone what to do/fix with their own words. They want my reaction. Writers can be sensitive; and being dictatorial, however nicely presented, is still potentially emasculating. Many emailed responses for my efforts are quite effusive and rewarding. I’ll take that over tickets every time.

I enjoy sharing my reviews and am happy with one ticket or no tickets. I have learned from 17 years of trial and tribulation what a writer wants to hear. *whispers* I was Quill nominated Best Reviewer last year. *Laugh* Although, the chosen reviewer of the year goes against my principals, even with the subjects that offer entries into her contest.

Would it help if I offered a summation of every review like the one above to help others see how they can review without stepping on toes? *Wink* I know I could summarize in a review every suggestion, notation, but telling a writer what to do would require contacting me for further assistance. (I do that, too) They are the master of their own work, otherwise.

Thank you for all the effort that goes into this event to reward and enrich member experience, and be able to grow in knowledge about perceptions of our writers and reviewers.
MESSAGE THREAD
12 Reviews 1 tix · 09-11-23 3:01pm
by Brian K Cognitive Dissonance
Re: 13 Reviews 13 tix · 09-12-23 4:14am
by AmyJo- only 2 steps behind -
Re: 13 Reviews 13 tix · 09-12-23 4:28am
by AmyJo- only 2 steps behind -
*Star* Re: Re: 13 Reviews 13 tix · 09-12-23 8:00am
Re: Re: Re: 13 Reviews 13 tix · 09-14-23 12:06am
by Angelica- Happy Mothers Day!
Re: Re: Re: Re: 13 Reviews 13 tix · 09-24-23 8:26pm

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Schnujo is Late to Lannister.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3585854