*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3592243
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Message Forum · Writing · #2305951
Give me your thoughts and input on my stories and books and share your views on writing.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 9, 2023 at 7:06am
Re: Re: Influences or Theme
Do you think Shakespeare didn't put a quill to parchment before he had worked out what theme (or any other of the seven elements) he was writing to? Quite frankly, I doubt it. The same goes for any of the great writers whose names we all revere. They sat down and wrote what they wrote and it's only later generations who have picked through their works, trying to work out how they did it. And that's how some bright spark came up with the idea of themes and elements. They are only attempts by poor writers to produce a formula for creating great writing and it will never work.

The terrible fact is that, if you ain't got it, you ain't got it. Sure, you can learn how to follow a formula that will allow you to play in the minor leagues. You might even become popular. But, the writers who live forever don't spend their time thinking, "Wait a minute - I haven't got this element into the story yet - hang on while I insert it." No, they just sat down and wrote what demanded to be written.

There's no secret formula, guys, and the best we can do is write what we write, practise like mad, and hope to hell something halfway decent comes out.
MESSAGE THREAD
Influences or Theme · 10-06-23 10:33pm
by Damon Nomad
Re: Influences or Theme · 10-08-23 5:39am
by Amethyst Angel🌸📝🪽
Re: Re: Influences or Theme · 10-08-23 9:41am
by Damon Nomad
Re: Influences or Theme · 10-09-23 1:33am
by s
*Star* Re: Re: Influences or Theme · 10-09-23 7:06am
by Beholden

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Damon Nomad.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3592243