*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3592230
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Message Forum · Writing · #2305951
Give me your thoughts and input on my stories and books and share your views on writing.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 9, 2023 at 1:33am
Re: Influences or Theme
by s
I'm with you. I never write to a theme - wouldn't know how, to be honest, even after all these years - and I still manage to sell a bit.

I've had people read themes into my work, and that's fine - go for it, if it makes you happy. There might even be some there that I don't see, subconsciously appearing out of the ether. One reader contacted me and asked about a theme as she was writing about one of my books for a school book report, gave me her ideas, and I told her sure, that'll do.

I have been abused here on WdC for not writing to theme... but, meh. I've posted about it before, and there seems to be support for my stance as well.

I agree with you also that it should not be one of the 7 elements.

I write to entertain - others or myself, that's irrelevant - not to instruct, not to put forth a political agenda, nothing like that. I might add bits into my weriting, but entertainment is paramount.

No theme making a bad work is like saying the song 'Bat Out Of Hell' is a bad song because it is "too busy" (yes, that is a complaint against one of the greatest songs ever written).

So, I am completely with you - theme is over-rated.
MESSAGE THREAD
Influences or Theme · 10-06-23 10:33pm
by Damon Nomad
Re: Influences or Theme · 10-08-23 5:39am
by Amethyst Angel🌸📝🪽
Re: Re: Influences or Theme · 10-08-23 9:41am
by Damon Nomad
*Star* Re: Influences or Theme · 10-09-23 1:33am
by s
Re: Re: Influences or Theme · 10-09-23 7:06am
by Beholden

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Damon Nomad.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3592230