Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Contest · #896794
Enter your story of 300 words or less.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 1, 2024 at 4:46pm
Edited: May 1, 2024 at 6:34pm
Re: Winner for 4/30 and prompt for 5/1
by inkerod
"Do you believe in ghosts? I do. I've communicated with my great Grandfather who fought with the Confederates in the Civil War. One time when I was twelve years old I asked him what it is was like to be in a war. I didn't realize until later it was all a dream." David said.
"What did he say?" Jimmy, David's little brother asked.
The two boys sat at the polished table in the dining room of a comfortable, handmade, stone house.. Jimmy listened eagerly.
A ghostly figure entered the room. David saw him, but Jimmy's back was turned the other way.
"What did he say?" Jimmy asked.
He said, "Be careful my Davy boy. Don't ever go to war, because I learned in that great conflict that there was no cause worth killing another man for"
"How did you feel about slavery, Gramps?" I asked him.
"We did not get rid of slavery until the early 1960's The sharecroppers were pretty much slaves until then."
"I don't know about this," Jimmy started to say.
"Jimmy, turn around," David said.
Jimmy turned around, and he was face to face with the ghost.
"Whoa! Wow! Whoa!" Jimmy gasped.
"Jimmy, don't worry. He's not here to hurt you," David said.
Their mother entered the dining room.
"Davy, Jimmy, what are you doing down here? You have school tomorrow," she said.
"We've been talking about the Civil war with our great Granpa," Jimmy said.
"My good boys, your great grandfather has been dead for over sixty years. He died of cholera just before the Confederacy fell. He comes down here every time one of our elders falls. He came down here because your great uncle Bob died yesterday," Ms. Grandstaff said.
"See, Jimmy. There really are ghosts," Davy said.
MESSAGE THREAD
Winner for 4/30 and prompt for 5/1 · 04-30-24 11:09pm
by Arakun the Twisted Raccoon
*Star* Re: Winner for 4/30 and prompt for 5/1 · 05-01-24 4:46pm
by inkerod

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Arakun the Twisted Raccoon.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3648855