*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/540649
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Opinion · #595449
Write songs much?Feel free to discuss it here(plus R&R as always).
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Dec 28, 2002 at 11:40pm
Explaining a tune
Wordsy asked me how the tune for Shocking Stupidity went.Well,I may study music, but I'm no composer. However, I can comment on how the song is supposed to be sung(and which section),since a lot of the song's message against censorship stems from the related tones and how they're connected in the song.

The first two stanzas are hissingly whispered(does that make sense?)

The first "verse"(which is 5 stanzas long)is sung almost in a ladi-da fashion,albeit the singer is supposed to sound saddened and a little disgusted as well.

The chorus is LOUD and very snide.The singer is also annoyed with society's handling of American culture(well,@ least the entertainment sector)

The midsection is a rant, kinda spewing all @ once to a particular rhythm. The rhythm of each stanza of this section is sung similarly to the other stanzas of the song.

Remember the first two stanzas? Well, it appears again a couple more times,this time spoken to a rhythm.You're probably wondering why this stanza is repeated. It's actually symbolic of the underground/counterculture, showing that no matter what happens in pop culture, there will always be alternatives, thus the entertainment industry's possible goal of having everyone like the same thing will not be met.

FInally,the end section w/those two stanzas before the repeated chorus.......it's simply a final release, and it's to be sung with great saddness and w/as hollow of a voice as one could possibly sing.It's an emptying of one's soul as he/she watches the dismal scene called propaganda, and the last bits of optimism are washed away.

WHEW! That was a lot!!! Anyway,if you read that song and wondered what the heck I was thinking, well, maybe this will explain it. Anyway, carry on*Reading*

"Maybe I'll get this thing right.."
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Explaining a tune · 12-28-02 11:40pm
by Elisa the Bunny Stik

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Elisa the Bunny Stik.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/540649