*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/641459
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Sci-fi · #420688
Welcome Trekkers. Have a cup of Klingon Raktajino, and enjoy our friendly Starbase.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 11, 2003 at 8:47pm
Re: Re: Re: Am i mistaken?
by onaya3
Hi J.S-gone swimming,

When you asked your question about the Borg, I didn't see how you were giving away spoilers... maybe if people on the forum would like to talk about episodes in depth they could put as a heading "Warning: Spoilers" so those who don't want to know can steer clear. Like how people put up spoiler alerts when talking about Star Trek Nemesis a few months ago on the forum. Personally I like spoilers. But when you asked the question about whether the Borg assimilate anyone at anytime, I couldn't see how you were giving away Enterprise spoilers...

Whether the Borg assimilate every culture they come accross is almost a matter of opinion. In St:TNG when Picard was turned into Locutus of Borg, he explained that the Borg purpose was to improve the quality of life in the galaxy by providing other life-forms the benefit of being part of the Borg collective.

But then in an episode of ST:Voyager, the character Seven of Nine mentioned in an episode once that not all races are exactly 'welcomed'... didn't she say that they didn't like the Kazon, so they didn't bother assimilating them? They are especially interested in technological advanced races, as well as races with higher mental capabilities. Guinan's race, the El Auriens were a favourite Borg target, as well as in another Voyager episode when Voyager found a ship supposedly sent by Starfleet with transwarp capabilities? The character Arturis's people had all been assimilated and he was one of the only ones left, if not the only one left. Yeah, he was species 116. And the Kazon were species 329. Ah, I just found it in my book... The Borg encountered the Kazon in the Gand Sector but did not assimilate them because they were considered unworthy.

So it kind of depends... the Kazon may have been the Beverly Hillbillies, so the Borg didn't want them in their familiy, but they did assimilate species 262, a primitive delta quadrant civilisation, because they took an interest in that culture's mythology around the Omega Molecule.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You know babies... every little thing they pick up goes straight into their ears. I used to love reading to him. You know, 'See Brak acquire. Acquire, Brak, acquire!'"

(Quark to O'Brien on Nog, DS9)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MESSAGE THREAD
Am i mistaken?(Edited) · 05-09-03 5:33pm
by Jade is very busy
Re: Am i mistaken? · 05-09-03 5:59pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Am i mistaken? · 05-10-03 12:31pm
by Jade is very busy
Re: Re: Re: Am i mistaken? · 05-10-03 2:31pm
by A Non-Existent User
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Am i mistaken? · 05-11-03 8:47pm
by onaya3

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Maryann.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/641459